My Yard Finds

rl10673

Sep 8, 2008
Newark OH.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, AT PRO
So far this is what I have found in my yard. The house was build in the 30s. The large cent was found 2yrs ago. It is 1837 I think. I was the first OLD coin I found. Thanks for looking.
A little about the token I found.
Myers Cooper
Cooper was born on November 25, 1873, in St. Louisville, Ohio. He attended public schools in Licking County and attended the National Normal University for two years, but he did not graduate. In 1896, he moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he began a real estate business. Cooper developed a number of housing subdivisions. He offered homes on credit to people who could not pay the full price immediately and sold more than two thousand homes in this way. Cooper also became involved in number of other businesses. He established the Hyde Park Lumber Company, the Hyde Park Savings Bank, and the Norward National Bank. He remained the chief executive officer of these three businesses until his death. Cooper also served as president of the Ohio Fair Managers Association and as president of the Ohio Council of Churches.

Cooper played an active role in the Ohio Republican Party during the 1910s and the 1920s and held a number of party positions. Cooper did not seek political office until 1926, when he ran for the Ohio governor's seat. He lost to the incumbent, Alvin Victor Donahey. In 1928, Donahey did not seek reelection, and Cooper easily won election as governor over the Democratic Party's candidate, Martin Luther Davey.

When Cooper took office in 1929, the Republican Party controlled the Ohio legislature. As a result of this Republican dominance, Cooper's two years as governor was uneventful politically. He was able to implement most of his proposals with little opposition from the legislature. During Cooper's administration, the state began new soil conservation programs, passed laws to safeguard investors' funds, and reduced personal and real property taxes. During Cooper's Administration, the Martha Kinney Cooper Ohioana Library was created. Intending to create a library to solely house the works of Ohioans, Cooper's wife solicited donations of books from authors who were from the state of Ohio. Initially, Ohio's First Lady housed the collection in the solarium of the Governor's Mansion. In 1935, the library moved to the State Library in Columbus.

Cooper ran for reelection in 1930. With the coming of the Great Depression, many Ohioans blamed the governor for not assisting them more. Cooper lost the election to George White. After losing the election in 1930, Cooper returned to his business and civic interests in Cincinnati. He died on December 6, 1958.

Attachments

• coins from the yard 005.jpg
    coins from the yard 005.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 480
  • coins from the yard 006.jpg
    coins from the yard 006.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 487
  • coins from the yard 010.jpg
    coins from the yard 010.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 492
  • coins from the yard 011.jpg
    coins from the yard 011.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 487
  • coins from the yard 005.jpg
    coins from the yard 005.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 480
  • coins from the yard 006.jpg
    coins from the yard 006.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0

dtwilson3

Jul 11, 2008
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher 1212, Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Neat finds!

Here is some information about your lucky pocket piece.

C1. Political Advertising Good Luck Coin, bronze gold-plated, circa 1930s, 25 mm.

Obverse: Elephant
Legend: COOPER/LUCKY POCKET/PIECE
Reverse: No design
Legend: GOOD FOR/2/YEARS OF/PROSPERITY/IN OHIO
Note: the elephant appears here both as the proverbially lucky white elephant and as an icon of the Republican Party; the "prosperity" promised by the coin was presumably conditional upon the election of Mr. Cooper. In 1999, a reader named [email protected] contacted me with the following information about this coin: "Myers Y. Cooper was a former governor of the state of Ohio. I know one of his grandsons still here in the state." So it looks like this coin was very, very lucky indeed!

Attachments

• cooperelephant.gif
    cooperelephant.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 445
  • cooperprosperity.gif
    cooperprosperity.gif
    16 KB · Views: 469

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That good luck piece is very cool.

And the large cent is awesome!!!! High on my list of "must find" items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions