Mysterious Bayonet

Jon A.

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Here's something fascinating I'd like to get information on if possible.

In the 1930's my father used to visit a junk yard in New Orleans and search for things that little boys like: muskets, swords, WW I helmets, and other war related items.

He purchased 4 Civil War era muskets and swords for mere quarters and cleaned them up to bring them back to life. One item was always referred to as a French bayonet. (Pictured) It is 22" long and three sided. There is no 'blood gutter" on the blade. The hole in which the base of the bayonet is attached to the muzzle of the rifle is 15/16" in diameter. I can't quite understand how it is attached to the rifle but it appears to twist on the barrel. On the goose neck of the bayonet the numbers "543" can be found. There is a small circular indentation at the top of the goose neck where it connects to the blade.

My 85 year old, WW II disabled Vet, father lost everything in his home during Katrina however he had a few treasures in his attic. This was one of them.

Can anyone give me information on this bayonet? My guess is that it is from the Franco Prussian war and made its way to the US for the Civil War. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Jon

Attachments

• Fr bayonet1.JPG
    Fr bayonet1.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Fr bayonet2.JPG
    Fr bayonet2.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 251
  • Fr bayonet3.JPG
    Fr bayonet3.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Fr bayonet4.JPG
    Fr bayonet4.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Fr bayonet5.JPG
    Fr bayonet5.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 189
  • Fr bayonet6.JPG
    Fr bayonet6.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 227

ABruce

Apr 11, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
The Franco Prussian War was 5 years after the U.S. Civil War was over. This bayonet could be from anywhere from the late 1700s to the 1870s. It might, at one time, have had a locking ring to secure it to the end of the barrel. There are hundreds of different triangular bayonets. You sometimes need a micrometer and a good reference book to determine whch one you have.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One photo seems to show the completely un-fluted blade is a lot wider than it is "tall." (In other words, shaped like a low-angle A-frame roof.) So, it appears to be what I was told long ago is an early-1800s Prussian (German) bayonet, from sometime in the first half of the 1800s. But I may have been given incorrect information.

Nonetheless, it seems to match this one ...a Prussian Model-1809 Postdam Musket bayonet: Bayonet for Prussian 1809 Potsdam musket, 18-1/4" hand forged blade - Track of the Wolf

The 15/16ths-inch hole for the barrel indicates it is for a .69-to-.72-caliber musket. Note that there is no slot in it for allowing it to fit past a muzzle-sight.

Upvote 0

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheCannonballGuy is about as good as it gets at this. I am gonna go with him ...... makes me look smarter. ha ha.:wink: Just don't look to close. :love10:

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the kind words.

Pardon me, but I want to say publicly that I do NOT think I already know everything there is to know. Besides to help people learn the correct ID for their finds, the other reason I hang out in the What-Is-It forum is that I learn new stuff about relics here every day. :)

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Thank you for the kind words.

Pardon me, but I want to say publicly that I do NOT think I already know everything there is to know. Besides to help people learn the correct ID for their finds, the other reason I hang out in the What-Is-It forum is that I learn new stuff about relics here every day. :)

Its hard to be humble but you should take the credit anyway...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jon A.

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it! It's a Potsdam musket bayonet. Thank you all for your help as I will save this information when I pass it down.
By the way, Ken, the junkyard no longer exists. It was someplace uptown, Rousseau St., I believe. My father, 90 years old, is still with us. I can ask him if you like. And I'm a New Awlins boy but I live in North Jersey now. Long Story but I can tell you I miss my Parkway Poboys!
Also, Cannonballguy. Thanks for all the info. You're fantastic. I see you're a Son of Confederate Veterans. My wife's relatives fought with N B Forrest. The later years which were tough going.
Finally, Tech Sarg Mike, my father was an L4, "Grasshopper" Pilot-- sort of a spotter for the artillery. Thank you for your service!
I've got a few more things I've got questions on. I'm post them soon.
Much thanks to all of you!!!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon, I kind of figured it was long gone. Rousseau still has a lot of vacant lots though who knows maybe something good still in the ground there. I'll just have to keep an eye out for construction over that way and check the dirt piles.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread