Mysterious Norwegian(?) pewter

tormodel

Jul 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a pewter bowl. At least, I believe it is pewter.
I belonged to my father, but it says "1743" on the front (as far as I can tell). If that is the year of production or birth/marriage/confirmation of "D.H.", it is obviously much older than my father.

I've searched Norwegian, Swedish and British publications on hallmarks, but I am not able to find out what country, what time period or which producer this comes from. I am, ultimately, also trying to find out who "D.H." was.

If anyone can help med shed some light on this or point me to useful directoreis, it would be greatly appreciated.

210419-TinnfatTormodE-2.jpg
210419-TinnfatTormodE-4.jpg
210419-TinnfatTormodE-3.jpg
20210417_162431~2.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing it is English pewter. The left touch-mark represents Hope. The II is the initials of the pewterer and is likely JJ as the letter J was typically represented with an I back then.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• John King touchmark.JPG
    John King touchmark.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 292
  • John King description.JPG
    John King description.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tormodel

Jul 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wear all around the bottom tells me that the hanger was added much later?
Yes, quite possibly. It is likely to someone, at some point, saw this as more of an ornamental piece, rather than something for everyday use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tormodel

Jul 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing it is English pewter. The left touch-mark represents Hope. The II is the initials of the pewterer and is likely JJ as the letter J was typically represented with an I back then.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great! Thank you. Already, I'm "armed" with a lot more information to use in my search.

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A forum member from SC found some silver gun parts a while back that were stamped "John King, London". Not sure it this is the same John King but here is a pic of the gun parts. Gary

silver gun parts.png

Upvote 0

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t track down the marks but given the second shield has 1720 at the top I would think this likely represents the date of manufacture. Fits with the 1743 engraving too.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first shield does indeed have "Hope" personified with an anchor, although that doesn't necessarily make it English. I couldn't find the mark either, but they're more difficult to trace than silver marks... especially if it's not an English mark.

The '1720' date across the towers of what I think are the gates to a city wall isn't likely to be the date of manufacture. More likely the establishment date of the maker, or the entry of his mark into a register.

I have asked a pewter expert and will report back if anything comes of that.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First... I love this.

This is an amazing piece and take great care with it.

I think YOU should continue the research for it will be FAR more rewarding when you have pinned this down.

I have an idea on this.. but instead i will throw you a couple bones :)

First... the date on the topside is NOT the date of this plate... but the more probable the date the hanger was added.

I know a bit about pewter but am no expert... but know enough to be um....... ehh heh welp anyway... her are your "bones" to chew on.. :)

85f8773df74f3b99da841819f6359e53.jpg

LOOK here... - https://pewterbank.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/The-five-London-touch-plates.pdf

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My expert contact at the Pewter Society agrees that it’s a typical 18th Century plain rimmed plate from Eastern Continental Europe with contemporary owner’s initials engraved on it. The mark to the right is “most likely” for Prague, but could be for Bohemia in general (Prague was the historic capital of Bohemia, which included part of what is now Germany).

The standard reference for Bohemian pewter is Friedrich Tischer’s book “Bohmisches Zinn Seine Marken” (first published in 1928 and republished in 1973) but neither mark is listed. My contact also kindly checked all seven volumes of Erwin Hintze’s reference books on German pewter in case it’s from a maker in what is now Germany, but again couldn’t find a match.

The maker’s initials appear to be “IID”, not just “II”, but with a separation between the “II” and the “D” (and the “II” part would be interchangeable with “JJ” in modern letters). So, sadly, it appears to be an undocumented maker, of which there are still many.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread