What's new

Mysteriously interesting triangle

coteau

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2009
Messages
257
Reaction score
96
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting triangle I found earlier this year.
It kind of looks like it is an exhausted stemmed or lanceolate point, but I don't think it is. I think it was triangular from the get go. Also, there is no basal or lateral edge grinding.
It's completely bifacial and thinned at the base so it was most likely a hafted biface, a projectile point, but I don't know what type, most likely Archaic. Length and width are exactly the same -- 13/16". Material is patinated KRF.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting but the pic wont enlarge any more than what it is now. Is there any secondary flaking on the edges? Might be a quickie in other words just a one timer and then discarded. Still a interesting item and I would of kept it also.
 
Nice find...
 
Interesting but the pic wont enlarge any more than what it is now. Is there any secondary flaking on the edges? Might be a quickie in other words just a one timer and then discarded. Still a interesting item and I would of kept it also.

Yes, there is some secondary flaking, but it looks like the material had some flaws so some edges weren't finely flaked.

This is the rest of the stuff I found that day (I took this pic a while back). Mostly Archaics: Pelican Lakes, and one Oxbow. Some Besant too. A nice bifacial "quarry" blank also.
View attachment 694966
 
Last edited:
This is the rest of the stuff I found that day (I took this pic a while back). Mostly Archaics: Pelican Lakes, and one Oxbow. Some Besant too. A nice bifacial "quarry" blank also.

Great group of artifacts coteau ...nice mix of cultures.
Pelican Lakes are one of my favorites.

11KBP
 
the one to the lower right of the coin appears to be more of a duncan and to its right maybe a pelican?
now above the coin and second to the left makes lean a little towards an oxy...but what is your expert opinion?
i respect your knowledge and some how feel as if i met you a few yrs ago
 
Those are truly great finds. When I first saw the others I thought Tx finds. But then I saw where you said you found them. Thats cool how your stone looks so much like Tx. The ones I find here in Ga are very different.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom