What's new

Mystery hook ***SOLVED***

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea what this is. Any ideas? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
The open end has threads in it. It changes to silver (plated?) half way up too as you can see.
Thanks,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-201S.webp
    MVC-201S.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 445
  • MVC-202S.webp
    MVC-202S.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 442
  • MVC-203S.webp
    MVC-203S.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 434
Re: Mystery hook

Maybe it is a lightning rod.
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery hook

yup--- lightning rod-- is the base threaded?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery hook

farkoff said:
yup--- lightning rod-- is the base threaded?
Broken knee said:
Maybe it is a lightning rod.
Broken Knee

A lightning rod? I would have never thought of that. Yes, the base is threaded. I dug this at an 1830's house property.
Thanks Broken Knee & Farkoff. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery hook

My best guess is it is it a Victorian or earlier button hook, with silver plate hook end the handle was bone or ivory. Nice find :icon_thumleft:
Jim :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery hook

I agree lightning rod
 

Attachments

  • lightning rod tip.webp
    lightning rod tip.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 399
  • lightning rod tip.webp
    lightning rod tip.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 394
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery hook

Was it found with those railroad switch locks? If so it may be railroad related. Don’t know about the lightning rod but it isn’t a buttonhook cause the hook is way too big judging from the picture.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery hook

LizardsKeep said:
Was it found with those railroad switch locks? If so it may be railroad related. Don’t know about the lightning rod but it isn’t a buttonhook cause the hook is way too big judging from the picture.

Lizards,
Yes, it was. The RR tracks are literally only about 200' from where I dug this up. The tracks have been there in that location since the 1800's.
What do you think it is? :dontknow:
Thanks,
MM
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery hook

No wabbits today, sorry. Lightning rod looks pretty good though. If so, may have been used on a water tower or other buildings. I don’t think they actually had them on the trains.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery hook

Well Folks, a lightning rod it is then. I would have never guessed that. Thanks to everyone for your help on the I.D. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
I agree lightning rod. I never knew they had them on trains. The silver wash or plate conducts electricity quicker than steel. I bet it will command a good price. I sell a lot of railroad buttons anything railroad is in demand.
Again nice find and id.

Jim :hello:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom