MYSTERY ROCK

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy

I haven't been around for a while and had to re-register with a different name. Anyway, I'm working on a real mystery and could use some help. If I can remember how to post pictures, please notice the carved images in what locals call "The Mystery Rock." I have been asked by our local Historical Society / Museum to research it, and depending on the results here, might write an article for them in their newsletter. The rock has already been examined by a group of Archaeologist but they are baffled as to what the carvings might be or represent. The only thing they determined with any certainty is that the carvings were done with some type of steel tool such as a chisel. As for the date it was carved, they are baffled about that as well. Its located in a brushy area about 100 feet away from an old State highway and about 100 yards from an old Railroad line that was built in 1916. In the area there is also an old U.S. military encampment that was built in 1940-41 and sold to the County around 1947-48. The two most prominent theories are ...

1. The rock was carved by a Railroad worker
2. The rock was carved by a member of the Military

But regardless of who carved it or when, we are trying to determine what the carvings might be or represent? The archaeologist said they don't recognize the pattern and are pretty sure they are not Aztec or anything like that, and that they might be random that only the "carver" knows the meaning of.

If you have any theories or recognize the pattern as something specific, please let me know and I will pass the information on to the Historical Society. The rock is located about 50 miles east of San Diego along old Highway 94.

Thanks in advance to those who participate in possibly solving a mystery that has had locals baffled for several years.

Sodabob ... a.k.a. Sodabottlebob and Sodapopbob

The rock is about 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, and about 2 feet thick. Most of the carving are on one end of the rock but in some places continue over the side. The local museum has permits to move it next Spring but will need a backhoe to lift and transport it.

100_5380.JPG

100_5377.JPG

100_5378.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following is what I call a line of reasoning that might shed some light on the date of origin for the Mystery Rock and why I suspect it might not be as old as some people think. Hence, my reasons for looking at survey related stuff connected with the 1963-64 Highway Project. Not to mention I still believe the rock was carved with some type of Power Tool.

1. The area where the rock is located was first settled in the 1860s
2. The 1870 population was approximately 400 residents - not counting Native Americans.
3. Over the years there were at least two Stores, two Hotels, a Border Customs House, Blacksmith Shop, and numerous Homes and Ranches.
4. The Railroad was completed in the area in 1915.
5. Camp Lockett was built in 1941 and at one point had approximately 5,000 Troops.

So, the bottom line for me is, with all of those people coming and going over the years within 1/4 mile of the Mystery Rock, I'm having a difficult time believing that no one discovered the rock if it had already been carved during those years. And if it was carved during that time period, and someone did notice it, I have to believe they would have mentioned it and that it would have been a big deal with the knowledge of it being passed down over the years. But as it stands now, it appears no one knew about it until about six years ago. And its not as if its hard to find - its right out in the open where even a blind mouse could find it. I admit I don't know the answer yet, but will say that something just isn't making sense.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this is as good a time as any to (sort of) disclose the location of the Mystery Rock. You will probably have to triple click (or save) it to see the details. The map itself is one of the 26 the Caltrans representative sent me. I didn't include all of the landmarks, but there should be enough of them to get the general location. The main point I'm trying to make is that the rock is within 1/4 mile of the store and other other populated areas and if it had been carved 100 or more years ago, that for it not to have been discovered until about six years ago seems highly unlikely to me. I trust no one will disturb the area in the event that someone who reads this lives in or visits the area. Not to mention that the rock is on County property and it would be a violation to dig around and/or disturb the area in any manner. I have been granted permission by the County to do a limited amount of excavation in the area providing that any digging I do is with my bare hands and not a shovel or similar types of tools. At some point they are going to do an organized excavation that I and others hope will turn up additional clues. As far as I know, the only thing found so far is the Railroad spike I found a few weeks ago, and even that might have been left by someone digging around.

[ Triple-click or Save to see details ]

Mystery Rock Highway Survey Map (2).jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of clues ...

I consider this the main one. But whether it represents something specific, someone's name, or just what, I honestly don't know. But I do not believe its ancient or represents anything ancient. To me it has a more modernistic look to it. Who knows, maybe its the original carver's way of asking WHY?

MYSTERY ROCK Y.JPG

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More possibilities ?

Power transmission line crews ... looks like they went right through that spot.

Modern day California ... 1/4 mile from store + public land = transients, homeless?
They probably wouldn't have the equipment to do this, and there'd certainly be trash strewn about.

As recent as 6 yrs. ... maybe the "Class of 2013" etc ... Where did the kids "party" during those years ?
Again, there would be trash.

This area being so close to so much ... there has to be a trash trail hidden in that surrounding soil ... it seems odd that there isn't more trash.

Upvote 0

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like rotational art, ie different images from different angles using the same lines. I would think it was copied from somewhere else given the forethought required to make that work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like rotational art, ie different images from different angles using the same lines. I would think it was copied from somewhere else given the forethought required to make that work.

I agree. And not only that, but having studied it closeup numerous times, I suspect that whoever did it might have traced the design on the rock prior to carving it. Its fairly well laid out and does not appear to be haphazardly done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More possibilities ?

Power transmission line crews ... looks like they went right through that spot.

Modern day California ... 1/4 mile from store + public land = transients, homeless?
They probably wouldn't have the equipment to do this, and there'd certainly be trash strewn about.

As recent as 6 yrs. ... maybe the "Class of 2013" etc ... Where did the kids "party" during those years ?
Again, there would be trash.

This area being so close to so much ... there has to be a trash trail hidden in that surrounding soil ... it seems odd that there isn't more trash.

PNP

You can't drive to the spot but its an easy walk to get there. There is a little trash in the area, but its recent and probably left there by looky-lou's. I'm hoping any good stuff is still buried underground. Like maybe an old coin or two. A coin with an old date wouldn't be definitive, but it might serve as a clue. I can think of a lot better places to "party" than there. And as far as the power line is concerned, my dad could very well have set those poles. He came to the Campo area in 1946 and worked for the local Rural Electric Association (REA) for 40 years. That's another reason I don't think the carving is that old; if it was there years ago, my dad would surely have heard about it and taken my brothers and I to see it. My dad is deceased so I can't ask him, but I guarantee you if he had known about the rock, I would have known about it. We loved that kind of stuff and when it was legal used to hunt for arrowheads all over the east county. I don't hunt them anymore but still have a nice collection from way-back-when.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The possibilities become daunting ... lol.
What about the wastewater treatment plant?

There would have been crews building this and burying large lines up to town.
Maybe a bored treatment plant worker ?
Maybe they heard loud noises a few years back.

Give 'em the third degree ... lol !

wastewater.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The waste treatment plant was built in 1941 to serve Camp Lockett. Its still in operation and I have thought about asking them but just haven't gotten around to it yet. And, yes, there is a major sewer line that runs along the old highway, but there's nothing like that in the immediate area around the rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of the old highway, there are signs of drilling and possibly blasting along it as well. Check out my walking stick (that's actually a four pronged garden tiller) that I stuck in one of the drill holes.

100_5504.JPG

And not too far away is this Mystery Tree (live oak) that's growing out of a granite rock and causing it to split. Heck, the whole area is nothing but one big mystery as far as I'm concerned.

100_5496.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the person who carved the rock was a history buff. This link is to one of the better Online histories of the Campo area - which the indigenous people called Milquatay Valley, pronounced (Meel-ka-tah-ee) and in their native language means "Big Foot" because of the shape of the valley. The most notable events I'm aware of are ...

1875 = Shootout between the Gaskill brothers and Mexican Bandits
1875 = The hanging of three of the bandits shortly after the shootout
1885 = The Gaskill brothers built a new store with three-foot-thick stone walls that is currently a Museum
1916 = The San Diego & Arizona Railroad arrives in Campo and is currently a Museum
1941 = Camp Lockett built averaging 5,000 troops to protect the U.S. Mexico border during WWII

Read all about it - maybe something will jump out at you to explain the Mystery Rock

https://www.psrm.org/about-us/campo/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

PNP's post made me think, if you want to know what went on in this area in the past... ask the locals what the local folklore is about your 'mystery rock'. When I want to find potential places to metal detect and learn about the local folk lore, such as Indian encampments, old picnic areas or gathering places, early military activity, (War of 1812 activity in my area) I talk to the locals.

I would start with some of the area retirement homes, farmers and any long time property owners. :thumbsup:
Dave

"Folklore is the expressive body of culture shared by a group of people; it encompasses the traditions common to that culture, subculture or group. These include oral traditions such as tales, proverbs and jokes. They include material culture, ranging from traditional building styles to handmade toys common to the group. Folklore also includes customary lore, the forms and rituals of celebrations such as Christmas and weddings, folk dances and initiation rites. Each one of these, either singly or in combination, is considered a folklore artifact. Just as essential as the form, folklore also encompasses the transmission of these artifacts from one region to another or from one generation to the next.

Folklore is not something one can typically gain in a formal school curriculum or study in the fine arts. Instead, these traditions are passed along informally from one individual to another either through verbal instruction or demonstration."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Petroglyphs to Picasso

"Leave no stone unturned"

Mystery Rock Picasso.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PNP's post made me think, if you want to know what went on in this area in the past... ask the locals what the local folklore is about your 'mystery rock'. When I want to find potential places to metal detect and learn about the local folk lore, such as Indian encampments, old picnic areas or gathering places, early military activity, (War of 1812 activity in my area) I talk to the locals.

I would start with some of the area retirement homes, farmers and any long time property owners. :thumbsup:
Dave

"Folklore is the expressive body of culture shared by a group of people; it encompasses the traditions common to that culture, subculture or group. These include oral traditions such as tales, proverbs and jokes. They include material culture, ranging from traditional building styles to handmade toys common to the group. Folklore also includes customary lore, the forms and rituals of celebrations such as Christmas and weddings, folk dances and initiation rites. Each one of these, either singly or in combination, is considered a folklore artifact. Just as essential as the form, folklore also encompasses the transmission of these artifacts from one region to another or from one generation to the next.

Folklore is not something one can typically gain in a formal school curriculum or study in the fine arts. Instead, these traditions are passed along informally from one individual to another either through verbal instruction or demonstration."

The museum people have known about the rock for years and even published an article about it in their newsletter in 2013. Most of the local residents have either seen it or are aware of it. The topic is pretty well circulated and opinions have been running rampant for some time. But so far no one has been able to solve the mystery. So I really don't know what more can be done in that regard. As far as asking the old timers goes, I guess I could be considered one of them and you already know what I have come up with - which ain't much other than a lot of "maybes"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.

Please don't think of the following as being boastful because I'm not that kind of guy. But when it comes to local history I am considered one of the best informed and its not uncommon when someone wants to know something about the past they will say "Ask Bob. If he doesn't know, no one will." Even the Historical Society consults me from time to time - especially when they want to know something specific that took place in the 1950s and 1960s. Those were the years I grew up in the area when a lot of the old timers were still alive - some of who were close friends with my parents - especially my dad. In the history link I posted there is mention of Alfonso Warren who was one of the early residents. Alfonso passed away before I was born, but his son and daughter-in-law, Frank and Lila Warren, ran a boarding house where my dad roomed for a year between 1941 and 1942. At that time Frank was one of the last of the old-old timers and I still recall a lot of the stories he would tell my dad. One of my favorite stories took place on December 7, 1941. That morning their barn caught fire and while attempting to put it out the local Sheriff showed up. Shortly after the Sheriff arrived he informed them that Pearl Harbor had been attacked. Following that a joke began circulating that one of the Japanese pilots must have flown off course and dropped a bomb on the Warren's barn. But as it turned out, it was actually an illegal alien that had started the fire while trying to stay warm in the barn the previous night. They never caught the culprit and his part in the story faded into oblivion. But the story about the Japanese pilot apparently continued to circulate for years, and it still resonates with me to this very day. I bet there are no more than a handful of people still living who recall that story, but now you know it too, which helps keep a little bit of the local history alive that you will not find in any history books.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
P.S.

Please don't think of the following as being boastful because I'm not that kind of guy. But when it comes to local history I am considered one of the best informed and its not uncommon when someone wants to know something about the past they will say "Ask Bob. If he doesn't know, no one will." Even the Historical Society consults me from time to time - especially when they want to know something specific that took place in the 1950s and 1960s. Those were the years I grew up in the area when a lot of the old timers were still alive - some of who were close friends with my parents - especially my dad. In the history link I posted there is mention of Alfonso Warren who was one of the early residents. Alfonso passed away before I was born, but his son and daughter-in-law, Frank and Lila Warren, ran a boarding house where my dad roomed for a year between 1941 and 1942. At that time Frank was one of the last of the old-old timers and I still recall a lot of the stories he would tell my dad. One of my favorite stories took place on December 7, 1941. That morning their barn caught fire and while attempting to put it out the local Sheriff showed up. Shortly after the Sheriff arrived he informed them that Pearl Harbor had been attacked. Following that a joke began circulating that one of the Japanese pilots must have flown off course and dropped a bomb on the Warren's barn. But as it turned out, it was actually an illegal alien that had started the fire while trying to stay warm in the barn the previous night. They never caught the culprit and his part in the story faded into oblivion. But the story about the Japanese pilot apparently continued to circulate for years, and it still resonates with me to this very day. I bet there are no more than a handful of people still living who recall that story, but now you know it too, which helps keep a little bit of the local history alive that you will not find in any history books.

Your post above reminded me of a story my grandfather told me in 1973 when I was 9 years old. He told me that one day in 1910, when he was 9 years old, his Dad took him down to the ship yards in Belfast, Ireland. He wanted to show him the largest ship in the world being built. He then proceeded to tell my grandfather... they were going to call it 'The Titanic'.

Thanks again for your post/story Bob, I've enjoyed following it since the first day you posted it. :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AQ

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed my story. I enjoyed your's, too. By the way, they were unable to save the barn - it burned to the ground.

Stay tuned for a ...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread