old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your item looks like a belt buckle or sash broach. And I don't think those are dragons, they are dolphins.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your item looks like a belt buckle or sash broach. And I don't think those are dragons, they are dolphins.
I agree with the stylised dolphins copying an older more ancient form, but I don't think buckle.
I think its brass & is part of a larger piece, kind of like an insert to a ?? Then it had a square insert on top, not sure what, maybe glass? Like an ashtray, but no idea really.

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poked around a bit to no avail.... very cool item... hold onto this one.

My best guess is some sort of picture frame... I say this because of the back prongs enable a picture or miniature painting to be inserted and removed.

IF it was this... you only have a part of it.

Definitely either old... or modeled after an old one.

PS... they are not dragons... as stated by old digger... they are "dolphins".

"stylized dolphins" to be exact.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Alset

Alset

Dec 19, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dolphins are just as cool. I guess I was thinking dragon because they seem to have what looks like ears. But thanks for the input and I'll continue looking around

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Roman style dolphins also, but then I thought could they be sea horses, being they have a long curly tail. My guess it's maybe a salt dish missing a glass insert.?? What ever it is, it's a pretty neat find.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they're actually a stylised western interpretation of Chinese 'dragon fish' which derive from an oriental legend of a fish that struggled to make its way to the top of a waterfall and was rewarded by being transformed into a golden dragon. Various forms of this hybrid fish/dragon were used as motifs by the Chinese to symbolise the determination and strength of will of the fish and the strength and power of the dragon. They found their way onto western world decorative 'Chinoiserie' during the late 1800s in copied forms that have been modified from the styles originally used by the Chinese.

Upvote 1

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they're actually a stylised western interpretation of Chinese 'dragon fish' which derive from an oriental legend of a fish that struggled to make its way to the top of a waterfall and was rewarded by being transformed into a golden dragon. Various forms of this hybrid fish/dragon were used as motifs by the Chinese to symbolise the determination and strength of will of the fish and the strength and power of the dragon. They found their way onto western world decorative 'Chinoiserie' during the late 1800s in copied forms that have been modified from the styles originally used by the Chinese.

Whenever I read your posts, I add a British accent in my head. That skews my perception of your posts. I believe a good British accent adds at least 50% more credibility to anything you comment on. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I read your posts, I add a British accent in my head. That skews my perception of your posts. I believe a good British accent adds at least 50% more credibility to anything you comment on. :laughing7:

Ha ha! Salute to you.
Benny Salute 2.jpg

Does it help if I add in the walk?
Silly Walk.jpg

I'm thinking this kind of thing:

Dragon Fish1.jpg Dragon Fish2.jpg

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are dolphins or fish even. IMO

Arrrg you mean now I actually gotta research and work ... bah...:P

Heh

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They could be seahorses but looking at Carribo5's post in Late July 2020 about the dragon plaque, they do look like carp. or a carp/dragon mix.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/638021-nine-sons-dragon-stone-plaques.html

I commented in that post on chinese mythology regarding carp and their significance with dragons. Here is a wiki on that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_in_Chinese_mythology#Carp

If you notice the animals in this post's treasure item look too be breathing water or fire from their mouths. (my guess would be water).

The item above looks to be as Red-Coat says "western interpretation of Chinese 'dragon fish'"

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions