What's new

Mythology Research

treasure_girl3

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2008
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hey everyone! My friend and I are researching mythology. If anyone knows some books we can read for info or any general information that would be great. We've read many books already but their may be stories we haven't heard or didn't find much info on. Thanx!

~Treasure Girl :icon_study:
 
Treasuregirl and i would appreciate any information sources you have to share on any mythology topics.
thanx so much for the help!

~emeraldaurora
 
"Myths from Mesopotamia" is an interesting book. It deals with different stories, including Gilgamesh. I recommend it.
 
Thanks, Gilgamesh is actually the reason i started studying mythology!
 
If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help if I can.

BTW, Gilgamesh was a real person. I believe all mythology is nothing more than a misunderstanding, by primitive man, of true stories that were handed down to them. These stories were about an age of great scientific advancement, which sounded like magic to the primitive mind.
 
thanks! and as far as misunderstandings go for mythology i can see how that can be cause most of the stories taken as myths were once only told by word of mouth and when things are told only by word of mouth somethings can get changed or even left out completely. but thanks for the recommendation it will be a big help!

~emeraldaurora
 
thats true except in gilgamesh's case. It is one of the first recorded stories in history.
 
Start with Joseph Campbell.

His research and lectures ( many available on the net or bookstore) are about the best reference for classic mythology and how it applies to todays world you can read.
The Hero with a thousand faces is a good start, and his talks with NPR are still used in many classrooms today. He was decades ahead of his time, much of todays known work on mythology is due to the work of this one man.
 
i agree Joseph Campbell is a great place to start, Bullfinch's mythology is another great book.
 
I have kind of a strange education. In my younger years I was shifted around from school to school. In my 4th grade I was taught Greek & Roman Mythology from a book called Bulfinch's Mythology. It was written by Thomas Bulfinch in 1913. It also containes other stories like King Arthur. This book is part of my permanent collection of reference books.
​
 
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post! Hope its a mythic one! :P

I would suggest

Ovid-- Metamorphosis

I’ve read many parts of it and its the base text for many Greek myths.
its probably already a given
but it is my first post
:hello2:
 
lapisexillis said:
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post! Hope its a mythic one! :P

I would suggest

Ovid-- Metamorphosis

I’ve read many parts of it and its the base text for many Greek myths.
its probably already a given
but it is my first post
:hello2:

Great suggestion, lap. The translation by Rolphe Humphries is excellent.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom