What's new

N.C. quartz

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been seeing a few quartz pieces. Thought I'd share mine.

ForumRunner_20121215_220711.webp



ForumRunner_20121215_220816.webp
 
Upvote 0
The other white quartz is Quartzite. It's grainier than quartz and many Indians used it for tools. It is rebaked quartz (metamorphosed)or sand or anything made of Silica. Most of the tools found in the VA Piedmont are quartzite. Although there is plenty of quartz and Jasper tools as well.
 
Don't forget rhyolite.
 
Last edited:
That'd be Rhyolite, essentially a very fine grained, quartz rich mixture of many minerals. Most obsidian is actually rhyolite. And all of it mostly silica. The clearer points you have in the photos, look to be quartz, likely made out of quartz crystal and they're really nice!
 
Last edited:
Dude I'm at work on on a mobile phone I know how to spell. Welcome ...
Thanks... rhyolite is a product of volcanic outflow..as is obsidian. Wikipedia can tell anyone much more if they want. Again...thanks.
 
Last edited:
Wow love the first pic in your second post, very nice. That is a beautiful assortment, never seen so much quartz! :icon_thumleft:
 
Thanks
 
Here's most of mine gator.............You got some nice ones buddy.:headbang: Not all white but all quartz.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 

Attachments

  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    88 KB · Views: 100
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 76
Nice ones... I only picked the better ones I have. Its tough to come across real nice quartz examples.
 
Here is one my friend Johnathan found

IMG-20121010-WA0004.webp



IMG-20121010-WA0002.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20121010-WA0001.webp
    IMG-20121010-WA0001.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-20121010-WA0005.webp
    IMG-20121010-WA0005.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 71
Nice quartz pieces. I never used to think much of them until I moved up to CT. That's mostly what we have around here and they show up nicely on the surface if you are lucky enough to find one.
 
those are some beautiful quartz arrowheads Gator Boy. I have been admiring the pieces of your collection that you have been posting on here. You have a very nice assortment of indian artifacts. I just started hunting arrowheads last year and I have found a few nice pieces. My best one to date is a banded slate bar weight that I found in a creek bed on our property. That is my avatar

Thank you for your kind words. And I wish you the best of luck..and a merry Christmas.
 
I love seeing all the quartz. Thanks for sharing.
 
Nice quartz pieces. I never used to think much of them until I moved up to CT. That's mostly what we have around here and they show up nicely on the surface if you are lucky enough to find one.

Thanks... they are not the best material sometimes but meaningful finds for sure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom