Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Re: N Houston 40's Race track

I wonder who owns the land now or if it's even accessible? It sounds like a great place to hunt if you could get to it. :D

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

I just emailed a guy that used to have a small piece of land that he dove hunted on in that area. Maybe he will have some insight on the area and what sort of track it was. My dad also is working on the GIS systems for the airport and surrounding areas I will ask him

Thats about 15 - 20 min from me.

Is this what you are looking at?

Attachments

• Track.jpg
    Track.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 1,125

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used

Just talked to my pops,

Airport started in 1966, He was going to try and get some specifics on that land but he thinks it was purchased around that date. He had heard that is was an old horse track possibly dating back further than that. (He is going to do some looking into it)

Its a possibility that its part of the hike trails around the airport system - He said you can follow the power lines and find it but its way overgrown even on the track part. There may be some of the old structures still standing. He also said that motorcycles and four wheelers used to use it as a circle track 15 years or so ago.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used

Shaw said:
Just talked to my pops,

Airport started in 1966, He was going to try and get some specifics on that land but he thinks it was purchased around that date. He had heard that is was an old horse track possibly dating back further than 40's. (He is going to do some looking into it)

Its a possibility that its part of the hike trails around the airport system - He said you can follow the power lines and find it but its way overgrown even on the track part. There may be some of the old structures still standing. He also said that motorcycles and four wheelers used to use it as a circle track 15 years or so ago.

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher F2

Hi Shaw,

I found this around the same area of the track. I checked it out about a week ago. They have bull dozed the houses, but the area is wide open. I only stayed about an hour or so (area is pretty over grown). I found a few pennies and a few dimes (nothing old). You might want to check it out. The planes make it tough to hear at times. If you google earth it the photo still shows the houses in place. I think the track would still be pretty cool if you could get to it.

http://carey2.blogspot.com/2007/04/houston-has-its-own-ghost-town.html

Attachments

• abandon1.jpg
    abandon1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 789

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe

Ok, I've decided that working during the week sucks, because I don't have the time to hunt this kind of info down. This track would be a nifty place to hunt.
I'll see what I can find on it. :)

Ima

chris79ta

Greenie
Mar 31, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

jas415 said:
Looking at some early (1953( Houston airial photos there is an old horse (or auto) track and stands on the nw corner of Lee Road and Greens Road. Very wooded over now and still nothing built there.

Any of you ever hunted that area?
I drove by this location two weeks ago only because i lived on Schutz St. in the early eighties during Hurricane Alicia. I did not notice any realtor signs on the property. This property may be owned by Bush Airport! On the University of Texas website there should be information on who owns it or check the county records. I am sure there is lots of silver clad and war coins to be taken out of the ground.

chris79ta

Greenie
Mar 31, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Where did you find an aerial photo that old? There is also an old race track @ Jensen rd and hwy. 59 called Epsom Downs. This was the only horse tracks with information on the internet located in Houston. Epsom Downs opened Thansgiving Day in 1933 and closed in 1937 when betting was made illegal in Texas.

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher F2

Maybe at Jensen Drive and Hwy 59 ??? I can't seem to find a Jensen Road. Jensen Dr and Hwy 59 is right smack in the middle of major hwys. 59, Jensen and I-10 all come together right in that area. Does the track still exist or is it completely gone? I couldn't find anything that resembled a track on google earth. It would be a great place to hunt if you could find the actual location. Thanks for the info on it, very interesting.

HH
Frank

chris79ta

Greenie
Mar 31, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I am doing some research and have contacted a few people about the exact location of the race park. There is record of it being demolished but it does not disclose its exact location. AThere is a video on u-tube of the race park when it was open. I am still unable to find any record of the race track @ lee and greens! LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANY INFO ON ANY RACETRACKS IN THE HOUSTON AREA

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe

Hey guys, I went by this property yesterday and it is definitely airport property.
there are signs posted about every 150 feet that say so.
That's too bad, because I would think getting permission from the Airport would be difficult, but who knows?

Ima

chris79ta

Greenie
Mar 31, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

We shouldnt give up on this site so easy! Does anyone know who to contact to get permission. Maybe if i contact the Department of Homeland Security to get permission. That would certainly piss off the airport going above their head. Ill just tell them it needs to be checked for radio-active horse dung. lol.

OP
OP
jas415

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found the original aerial photos at the old Houston Library, downtown, about 10 yrs ago. I made copies of the pictures I was interested in . The archives section of the library is pretty much under lock and key but they will let you snoop through the stuff. You can then make copies of the material. A lot of old maps, old photos, and a few aerial photos. A really interesting place to visit, but plan on at least 4 or 5 hours because it is vast!!!

ZeroCool

May 26, 2008
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Treasure-Diver said:
Hi Shaw,

I found this around the same area of the track. I checked it out about a week ago. They have bull dozed the houses, but the area is wide open. I only stayed about an hour or so (area is pretty over grown). I found a few pennies and a few dimes (nothing old). You might want to check it out. The planes make it tough to hear at times. If you google earth it the photo still shows the houses in place.

Hello all. New guy here.

TD, that land was bought by the Houston Airport System (HAS) and it is off limits. They have guards patrolling it periodically and they'll run you off if they see you. DHS can't give you permission, but HAS could if they wanted. (Which I doubt they ever would. :-\ )

Those race track sights look very promising though. I'm up for a group search if we can get it together soem weekend.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used

Yea, Pops said there is probably no chance of getting in there now. To "sneak" in could carry some heavy duty jail time now that HAS owns it.

May be something that gets lost forever.

jasonwsmith

Aug 30, 2023
15 years later and a newcomer to this treasure hunt. I've been looking at aerial imagery from Historic Aerials to see how that property looked over the years. To clarify, this is the location of the property where remnants of an old racetrack can be seen.

F4y6fB2WgAE_qsd

I can tell you almost certainly that the track probably did not exist until some time after 1946. Here's why: On this map from 1954, the racetrack can be seen.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons/overlay/TX/TX_Humble_110900_1954_24000_geo.jpg

But in a similar map from 1946, the racetrack is not present.
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons/overlay/TX/TX_Humble_110899_1946_31680_geo.jpg

Here's the earliest aerial shot I found, from 1953.
View in 1953

Image: HistoricAerials.com

By 1957, a smaller, wider track had been built, as well as what appears to be larger spectator bleachers.

Image: HistoricAerials.com

Sadly, by 1962, the racetrack seems to have fallen out of much use. The large spectator stand is already gone, and the roads leading back to the track seems to be growing over -- evidence that they're not being driven on.

F4zA4H9WsAEwkUY

Two years later the racetrack is clearly out of use. The stands are gone, the roads overgrown. There's nothing remaining but the ovular gash carved into the ground.

F4zCOw9WgAA8SsT

But if we take a wider look, we see what may be the cause of this closure: the construction of IAH.

F4zCo0YXQAAuVII

And of course, below what we see in satellite imagery today. I have as of yet been unable to find out for certain (1) what was the name of this racetrack venue or (2) how long it operated. I hope someone happens upon this thread who might be able to shed more light on this mystery. Hopefully it won't be another 15 years from now!

F4y7MW-WUAATmIA

P.S. I have reached out to the director of the Houston Airport System requesting permission to enter the property and take photos. If that works out, I will post an update here for sure. Take care everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread