

Hard for me to really say what those brass spikes were made for, but some boats were assembled with them. I wasn't thinking in terms of ship building, but during the 19th century before improved roads and railways farmers would build a one-way flat boat to take their goods to market in the cities downstream. I read after they delivered and sold their cargo they even sold the whole boat to be disassembled for the cut timbers and then hike it all the way home with their earnings. That I found real interesting as those early 19th century farmers on the Ohio River networks went all the way to sell their harvest in New Orleans and walk home. That all sounded like an awfully treacherous journey to me. You just have to wonder how many of them never returned home with the earnings and maybe got bumped off by highway men.Hey Tamrock ... your spike is substantially thicker than my "nails" .... would these bronze/brass nails also be used in shipbuilding? Estate is overlooking Hudson River.
What type of magnet?OMG....i forgot!!
DONE!!! Not picked up by a magnet!!! Not iron ...must be bronze?,,,,,brass
![]()
Hard for me to really say what those brass spikes were made for, but some boats were assembled with them. I wasn't thinking in terms of ship building, but during the 19th century before improved roads and railways farmers would build a one-way flat boat to take their goods to market in the cities downstream. I read after they delivered and sold their cargo they even sold the whole boat to be disassembled for the cut timbers and then hike it all the way home with their earnings. That I found real interesting as those early 19th century farmers on the Ohio River networks went all the way to sell their harvest in New Orleans and walk home. That all sounded like an awfully treacherous journey to me. You just have to wonder how many of them never returned home with the earnings and maybe got bumped off by highway men.

Yeah I was just attempting to surmise the possible situation on how those may have come to be. In researching these river boats it was mentioned that they were built with wooden dowels and at times hand forged iron nails. How interesting there are homes still around that were constructed of these disassembled flat badges and that you've salvage them. I've never heard that before. That plank is sure a testament to how tough and resourceful the early American pioneers had to be. I often wonder what all those hard working folks of our past would think of all these boohoo crybabies we have here today.In New Orleans you still find barge board houses, most of the board I salvaged from renovation when I lived there was poplar, and I've had planks that were 2 feet wide, three inches thick and 15 feet long, they sold for a very nice price. The one in this pic is a little smaller than that and came from an 1830's house. The earlier barges had wood pins holding them together, you can see the cut off pins just above and below the tape measure. I never found brass spikes in any of the houses I worked on of any age. I did find iron spikes though, and I suspect that since the boats were designed to have a pretty short life span and not going to sea that brass and bronze were not necessary and that cheaper iron spikes were typically used. Just my opinion based on my personal experience, but I would think these came from a ship that was more substantial and more expensive than a river bargeView attachment 1865084