Name bullets please

WondererSue

Greenie
Feb 18, 2017
MD
Detector(s) used
I used to have a Whites. I just bought a Garrett AT Pro. I hope to get out there digging again soon!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What are these bullets called? 20181110_164033.jpg

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First thing that comes to mind is Colt revolver bullets but we have nothing for scale...d2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

WondererSue

Greenie
Feb 18, 2017
MD
Detector(s) used
I used to have a Whites. I just bought a Garrett AT Pro. I hope to get out there digging again soon!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What stumped me was that the bottom portion is smaller than the portion above the ring.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Larry, Moe and Curly??

No really I don't know.
They look old
I'm sure the bullet guys will know right off.

Upvote 0

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
What stumped me was that the bottom portion is smaller than the portion above the ring.

That is where they were crimped into the cartridge case, which is slightly smaller diameter in order to hold the bullet in the case tightly.

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good chance for me to ask a question that I've wondered about for years. On the 36 Cal colt bullet molds, they were dual cavity and one cavity was round and the other looked like this. I can't help but wonder if there actually were conversion kits that changed Colt percussion revolvers over to cartridge arms? I have several molds like that but was never able to make sense of it. Can anyone help or is this just a Clint Eastwood figment?

Welcome Sue and nice finds!

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Gunsmithes could do the conversion.they sell cylinders so you can fire cartridges,cowboy loads,in cap and ball revolvers.Irevolvers.It would be a hassle to convert one,you need a loading gate put in.you need a cylinder also.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good chance for me to ask a question that I've wondered about for years. On the 36 Cal colt bullet molds, they were dual cavity and one cavity was round and the other looked like this. I can't help but wonder if there actually were conversion kits that changed Colt percussion revolvers over to cartridge arms? I have several molds like that but was never able to make sense of it. Can anyone help or is this just a Clint Eastwood figment?

Welcome Sue and nice finds!
The model 1860 Colt used paper cartridges or just ball and powder and was loaded from the front of the cylinder. The model 1873 used metallic cartridges and was loaded from the back of the cylinder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Army_Model_1860

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of colts and Remington’s were factory converted with loading gate and extractor spring, those could be early cartridge rounds, hard to say but you can still shoot conical bullets from a unconverted Colt , I do

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread