Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to share with you the most exciting day of detecting I have had thus far in my first year of mding. It's a little bit long but... OMG!

Started the day with OK....whatta we gonna do today Charlie? Sight seeing! Sounds like a plan! I always prepare for a "might find a minute or two chance to get to detect" so I silently... quiet as a mouse...placed the MXT in the back seat. ;) First stop...Clarkson Covered Bridge. Beautiful place and enjoyed the few minutes we stayed there...but didn't think there would even be an inkling of any kind of a chance to hunt there...historical....so I didn't even bother to ask....oh well....where to next? As we were heading out Charlie turns the truck around and says..."I just saw something that I know you are gonna love me for!" A sign that says--- Civil War Museum. WoW! Now that's what I'm talkin about! So we head for the museum and meet Fred the owner of the place. He has just opened up in April and was a very hospitable host. Just seeing all the things he had collected over the years was such a great joy to see. And you know me and my camera! I was running around snapping pictures going and a coming and he was busy telling me of how he came across them. And then he began to tell me of how the 40 acres he owns was the sight of a battle. "Let me take you on a tour!" he says. "Great! I would love to see!" says I. Just then a couple of more visitors come up and I tell him to go ahead and show them the museum and I'll go outside and get a few shots. Well....while I was outside Charlie and Fred got to talking and Charlie told him of how I absolutely love to detect. And when I came back to the front side of the building Charlie announced that Fred was going to allow me to detect at the battle site! OMG! No Way! Yes Way! Although the site has already been detected many times "by a few select people" he was willing to let me be one of the few and I thought I'd give it a go! ;D
Went down to the rivers edge and started detecting. Right off I found a wheat. Hummm. Went on down and around the sandy roadway and up the side of the hill to where the gun pits were where the soldiers had hid and fired their shots. I cannot explain the feeling I had just to be there. It was the most unbelievable moment. To know what had happened there... and there was little ole me standing there taking it all in. I did manage to find a couple of good things in the couple of hours I had. Nothing like what Cap and Art and Gman and the other relic hunters have found but I did have the most wonderful time! Fred was very gracious and invited me to come back anytime. Thank you Fred Wise! And here's a shameless plug for Fred..... There will be a CW re-enactment on July 1 and 2.!~

OK now for the finds! Got a couple of bullets! A buckle! And of course a "I don't know what it is"....so somebody please if you can.....ID. 8) An old lid and a blob of lead.

Thanks for letting me share my experience with you! Hope you all had a great day!

Nana ;)

More pictures coming...hang on.

Attachments

• Cbridge0520.JPG
    Cbridge0520.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 710
  • museum.JPG
    museum.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 725
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nana, Nana, Nana, :P I'm drooling! :P :P

What a great guy your hubby is. It almost sounds like he's ready to pick up your backup detector and join in the fun. ;)

Good luck! Thanks for the story and the great pictures......and the excitement! ;D :)

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Thanks ya'll! Burdie you are cracking me up! Now which side of the family did you come in on? :D I'm telling you what....that was the best time! I truly enjoyed my adventures there and Fred was the best for allowing me to visit that site! Took me forever to finally get to sleep last night just thinking about what I had experienced! :D

And haupin.....mmmmmmmm...naa....don't think yet. :'(

Thanks again!

Nana ;)

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
NANA, Congrats To You, On The Finds, The Nice Post And A Great Site. Best Of Luck On Your Future Hunts There, Remember There Is No Such Thing As A Hunted Out Site. trk5capt...

Attachments

• cwr%20(5)_1145672726.jpg
    cwr%20(5)_1145672726.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 453
  • cwr%20(5)_1145672726.jpg
    cwr%20(5)_1145672726.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 455

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'd kill for my own civil war minie bullet

HH
-GC

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana,I am so happy for you! Sounds like a great adventure. :)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats the kind of stories I like to here....Whit some History involved and some great pics. That covered bridge is just super! Great job, and have fun at that place.....HH

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What an opportunity, nice finds and pics.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stop posting and get out there and find somemore

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! :) I do want to get back there soon! ;)

You're the best!

Nana ;)

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Nana,

You are a lucky person to have been able to do that there. I have just finished reading a book that mentions that very area (Hog Mountain) Apparently Gen. Forrest chased the Union Army all the back to Tenn. So there may yet be some good finds around that area you were in. Considering that the Union Army was running and the Confederates were chasing things tend to rattle loose and fall off. I hope you get back there and find some nice relics.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That is very cool Nana. :) Does sound like a good time. A great picture of you in action. I think I see a grin on that face. ;D

Mirage

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D OH yeah Mirage.... I was smiling! :D

Thanks Love! I did feel very lucky to be able to be there and see small traces of history. Stoney sent me a write up on this area too. Here's a link if anyone would like to read about the area.

http://www.co.cullman.al.us/history2.htm

Thanks for the replies!

Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread