Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to share with you the most exciting day of detecting I have had thus far in my first year of mding. It's a little bit long but... OMG!

Started the day with OK....whatta we gonna do today Charlie? Sight seeing! Sounds like a plan! I always prepare for a "might find a minute or two chance to get to detect" so I silently... quiet as a mouse...placed the MXT in the back seat. ;) First stop...Clarkson Covered Bridge. Beautiful place and enjoyed the few minutes we stayed there...but didn't think there would even be an inkling of any kind of a chance to hunt there...historical....so I didn't even bother to ask....oh well....where to next? As we were heading out Charlie turns the truck around and says..."I just saw something that I know you are gonna love me for!" A sign that says--- Civil War Museum. WoW! Now that's what I'm talkin about! So we head for the museum and meet Fred the owner of the place. He has just opened up in April and was a very hospitable host. Just seeing all the things he had collected over the years was such a great joy to see. And you know me and my camera! I was running around snapping pictures going and a coming and he was busy telling me of how he came across them. And then he began to tell me of how the 40 acres he owns was the sight of a battle. "Let me take you on a tour!" he says. "Great! I would love to see!" says I. Just then a couple of more visitors come up and I tell him to go ahead and show them the museum and I'll go outside and get a few shots. Well....while I was outside Charlie and Fred got to talking and Charlie told him of how I absolutely love to detect. And when I came back to the front side of the building Charlie announced that Fred was going to allow me to detect at the battle site! OMG! No Way! Yes Way! Although the site has already been detected many times "by a few select people" he was willing to let me be one of the few and I thought I'd give it a go! ;D
Went down to the rivers edge and started detecting. Right off I found a wheat. Hummm. Went on down and around the sandy roadway and up the side of the hill to where the gun pits were where the soldiers had hid and fired their shots. I cannot explain the feeling I had just to be there. It was the most unbelievable moment. To know what had happened there... and there was little ole me standing there taking it all in. I did manage to find a couple of good things in the couple of hours I had. Nothing like what Cap and Art and Gman and the other relic hunters have found but I did have the most wonderful time! Fred was very gracious and invited me to come back anytime. Thank you Fred Wise! And here's a shameless plug for Fred..... There will be a CW re-enactment on July 1 and 2.!~

OK now for the finds! Got a couple of bullets! A buckle! And of course a "I don't know what it is"....so somebody please if you can.....ID. 8) An old lid and a blob of lead.

Thanks for letting me share my experience with you! Hope you all had a great day!

Nana ;)

More pictures coming...hang on.

Attachments

• Cbridge0520.JPG
    Cbridge0520.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 710
  • museum.JPG
    museum.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 725
Upvote 0

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Sounds like a blast! That bridge is pretty cool - a lot different than the covered bridges around here.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
others...

Attachments

• Fred.JPG
    Fred.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 717
  • Nana0520.JPG
    Nana0520.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 724
OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last........

Attachments

• 0520finds.JPG
    0520finds.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 706
  • hogmtn.JPG
    hogmtn.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 700
OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ya'll! And yep....gonna do my best to go back! ;D

Nana ;)

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D Terrific Nana! See- good things DO happen to good people sometimes! What a great experience you had, and some cool finds, too!

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was nice...Hope you have a good future there!... I would go to the really odd areas where other people may not want to deal with...Nice pictures...Wish more people would take pictures at the sites and the holes that they are digging! Rather see that than just the finds on a table!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds and great pics,sounds like you had a rip snorting day. lol

tinpan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome day, I can totally relate to how you felt! Excellent pics and thanks for sharing the experience. HH, Mike

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Super great Nana! I'm very happy for you.

Like Dave wrote, I'd also look for those off-the-beaten-path areas.

If it's been detected real hard they've probably found at best 5% of what was lost there. My guess would be 98% is still there. I'd sure like to get into a place like that for about a month. I'd leave with a small pickup truck full...LOL!

You're really good at this too and in the future we're going to see some breath-taking finds posted by you. I wonder how many CSA and Union buckles you'll end up with?

Badger

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent story and finds Nana. You really need to go back and hunt the entire site since you have permission. ( Need Help??? ;))What a great opportunity. Thanks for sharing this great bit of history with us.Love the photos!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WTG Nana!
Great post. This is what TH'ing is all about. Friendly people, a bit of history, the great outdoors, and some really nice finds. Congrats and best of luck to you when you get back there.

Smiles!
BDoo

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana,

Great story, nice pics (love that covered bridge), awesome finds and a must...head back to see the reenactment.

;) River

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Looks like aside from your relics youve found a new friend and a great opportunity.Good luck there in the future....watch that rough terrain....Joe

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow Nana.....Great story and pics! I feel like I've just read a magazine article on "The Adventures Of Nana!!" Thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us! Looking forward to more from that site.

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana did I ever tell you we are related. Just thought I would tell you before I come down and help you with that site. ;D ;D ;D Congrats on the finds. Good luck on your next trip. Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread