Narrowed it down to 3 detectors, what do you think ?

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
Tesoro brand :

Vaquero { decent price, good depth but no Target I.D.}

Deleon { more ex pensive but has target I.D}

Tejon - Over $500 and dint want to spend that much but it seems to be a great unit that also has target I.D.

My hunting rounds will be farm land, woods and pasteurs { no sand/water } and Id like the detector to be able to dsicriminate with decent accuracy between trash, non silver dimes,quarters, nickels, pennies,etc . while giving me a fairly reliable clue that what I found is something worth digging for . I was told that I should consider a unit with target I.D which would help weed out non-silver/gold coins/jewlery/etc { but I realize that no unit weeds out all trash }

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
The Tejon does not have a target ID meter. It is a good relic machine.
The Deleon does not appear to be popular as a ID meter machine.

Geo.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
so in youir opinion, the target I.D on the Deleon does not seem to be a very worthwhile feature ? This would mean that the Vaquero may be the best decisions for me.

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
I hunt with a guy that has a Deleon, that unit groups most coins under TID 95, you can't tell what that coin might be,just that it's in the coin category, so as you wrote being able to weed out the silver from clad, if thats important to you might not be your machine.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SaginawIan said:
Vaquero. Best all around for money.
I would have to agree... it is handling itself quite well..

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
My Tejon outhunts my Minelab Explorer II. It is fast recovery and has extreme depth. No meter, but most meters don't ID correctly anyway. The two discriminators really work hand in hand to get out the junk and get you to the goodies. For the price, it is the best on the market and can stand up to a White or Minelab anyday.

I relic hunt and am finding minnies in excess of ten inches.

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Vaquero for me.....you don't need a target i.d....set it on the notch above iron and dig!!!! See my post! You will love it!

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
Lets see you need a coin shooter
a gold finder
and then a PI for beachs caves remote areas
oh about three thousand dollars :D
oh almost forgot then you have to buy the big coils for cashe hunting the small coils for trash hunting another five,six hundred
pretty soon youd better damn well find something or your olady is gonna kick the ____ out of ya ;D
then when you aint worken or huntin your in front of the puter or at the library or somewhere doing research
How do you spell DIVORCE
Wheww luckily Ive got a great woman
Hmmmmmmm maybe I should show her this post, especially the preceding line :D
Browny points I need all I can get

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
rumme said:
Tesoro brand :

Tejon - Over $500 and dint want to spend that much but it seems to be a great unit that also has target I.D.

My hunting rounds will be farm land, woods and pasteurs { no sand/water } and Id like the detector to be able to dsicriminate with decent accuracy between trash, non silver dimes,quarters, nickels, pennies,etc . while giving me a fairly reliable clue that what I found is something worth digging for . I was told that I should consider a unit with target I.D which would help weed out non-silver/gold coins/jewlery/etc { but I realize that no unit weeds out all trash }

For the types of hunting you mention here I'd go with the Tejon.

The thing about the Tejon is to keep it ground balanced. It's noisier than the Vaquero but noisy is good. The true targets will be solid and sound in well over the background noise. Some great things about the Tejon are you can separate buried targets extremely well and it's even deeper than the Nautilus IIB. A coin laying 2 inches from a chunk of scrap iron will sound off as a coin. Not many machines can do this. The pinpointing is dead on so there's no need for an external pinpointer.

With the lifetime warrentee you can't beat Tesoro.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I happen to like the DeLeon, but since it was free, I can't knock it too much ;). As for th TID 95 singing coin, yes I'll dig it. IH comes in a bit lower. One of the last good finds was one that was 8" down and came in as iron then silver then iron--never locking on either. I dug it and it turned out to be a ladies silver pen knife who's blade was badly rusted.
I can live with factory preset ground balancing as most of our soil isn't that mineralized. However, as everyone knows that changes quite a bit throughout the country so in those instances, a manual ground balance might be better.
Metal detectors are tools and as such, you need to get the right one for the job you want to do. Tesoro's warranty has pretty much cinched what make I prefer-then it's deciding what I'm going to hunt for more and where.
A higher frequency makes it more sensitive to gold but also other things that register in that section of the meter. So you might also want to look at what frequency you want to operate. The Vaquero and Cibola run in the 14 kHz range, the DeLeon in the 10 kHz range, and the Tejon in the low to mid 17kHz range.

Peak190

Apr 23, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212x,Deleon ,Cibola,Tejon,Cortez,MXT,GTI2500
Im like the Cibola the best.HH

T

TreasureTales

Never ever rely on the target ID function of any detector. If you do, you will miss lots of good targets. Better to have a good machine without it than to have a mediocre machine with it (I'm not referring to any of the machines you are considering, I'm talking about other brands). I have only used the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq for the past 8 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. I think you are smart to go with a Tesoro. Any of those models should work for what you've said you want to find and within your price range. The key to success lies in learning your machine. Now hurry up and get something so we can see what you find with it. Good luck!!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the three I would go for the Vaquero. I don't like target I.D. so would not pay more for it without a good depth gain which you won't get with the Deleon.
Its always best to get a machine you can ground balance because there's always going to be sites where you will need it so that knocks out the otherwise excellent Cibola.
The Tejon as is does give extra depth at a price and has a better battery system. The Vaquero can hold its own by hyper tuning the sensitivity by running the threshold higher than the instructions suggest. This does effect pinpointing if overdone so go for a balance between improved sensitivity and worse pinpoint.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rumme said:
Tesoro brand :

Hmm.............Interesting responses to an interesting question.

First off, as stated, the Tejon does not have a TID per se. It has a more defined discrimination format in that it has 2 discrimination circuits that are used to quickly compare the target. You can perform the same function with single discrimination detectors by turning the knob as you go over the target and seeing where the disc switch is when the target no longer responds.

It sounds as if this may be a new venture for you. In all due respect to the other responses here, a sound based detector takes some time to get used to to figure out what is good to dig and what is trash. The TID on the Deleon is a coin hunters dream. When the VDI says 95 and the bar graph is pegged in the coin slot, you can best be sure it's a coin. If you are looking for certain coins only, this may not be the detector for you, and the other two are definetly not, in my opinion. You may want to check out a Garrett or Whites.

In response to your post, most here do not look at Gold Coins and Jewelry as trash. But the TID on the Deleon will ID those two for an easier display and sound than the V or the T. My humble suggestion is to go with the Deleon, learn the sounds compared with the display, and once you get familiar with the sounds, get the deeper V or T. Tesoro's are good for holding their value and you won't have trouble getting rid of the Deleon at a descent price. I don't know you, but look past the hype of depth, and get something that is easy to use at the get go (turn on and go) or you stand the chance of getting frustrated spending more time asking questions about signals when the TID could have the answers on the display. I had the Bandido Umax and got the Deleon and am much happier in the field. But even now, I am just starting to consider a V or a T.

Just my opinion and not meant to start a "my favorites" war.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
They are all good. I had the DeLeon and still have the Vaquero and Tejon. I use the Tejon the most as it is a sniffing machine when you get the hang of it, but the Vaquero is a bit easier to ground balance and is a very silent machine until you hit a good target. The DeLeon was deep, I found my US belt plate with that machine at 12 inches or more, but I did not like the 95 VID for all coins. I got tired of digging zinc pennies. Any of these machines will make you happy if you give them the time to learn them.

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
Get 2 of em'm get the cortes for coins and such,and get the tejo'n for everything else....Have had both detecotors really regret getting rid of the tej'on but do like the cortes........rh

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Gribnitz said:
They are all good. I had the DeLeon and still have the Vaquero and Tejon. I use the Tejon the most as it is a sniffing machine when you get the hang of it, but the Vaquero is a bit easier to ground balance and is a very silent machine until you hit a good target. The DeLeon was deep, I found my US belt plate with that machine at 12 inches or more, but I did not like the 95 VID for all coins. I got tired of digging zinc pennies. Any of these machines will make you happy if you give them the time to learn them.

I hate to disagree but the Deleon does NOT give a 95 VDI for a zinc penny unless it is lying just under the surface. If you pay close attention to the VDI on the Deleon it will give you a reading from mid 80s-95 with a small amount of the zinc column shaded and then the coin column shaded. This machine in my experience is getting a bad knock by some people who have used them. I found my only silver coin so far at 7-8 inches, a 57 quarter. I have found targets that my friends XLT tells him is junk that turn out not to be. I can pretty much tell you what I am going to dig before I dig it and be correct (10-13 times last night) And I agree with the person that said VDI is only a tool to be used but you should dig anything you are not sure of. I found my only "gold" ring because I dug a signal that bounced between nickel, tabs, and zinc. Machines that generate different sounds for different targets are great IF you plan on taking the time to learn them. Now don't get me wrong, I love Tesoro and think they make great machines but some people just won't take the time to learn those type of machines and need to use a VDI machine. What is the thought process of our original poster? If he is willing to learn the non-TID machine then he will probably find more and deeper targets if not then the Deleon is his best choice. I got my D for $350 used and it was the best $$$ I have spent in a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions