PKennett

Oct 18, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narrowing down the "X" (Pinpoint tip)

This is an old trick that used to be published in many metal detector manuals. Most experienced users know this well, but I thought I would post again for newbies.

If you are having trouble narrowing down the "X" when pinpointing, try this tip:

Locate a target and do the usual "x" pinpointing. However, the center area may be several inches around, or there may be two targets next to each other. To reduce the target size or eliminate one of the other targets slowly move the coil around your target area and then release the trigger and pull it again. This de-tunes the machine and will silence it until you directly over the target. I call it "trimming" the signal. Each pull of the trigger trims a bit more until you hear only a short beep when you are exactly dead center over the target. With practice you'll be able to drive a coin probe or blunt screwdriver right down and hit it dead center. This also reduces the size of the hole you need to dig, which will help keep lawns intact.

Note: If you "trim" when you are directly over the target, then the signal will disappear entirely. In this case, move the coil away from the suspected center area and trigger again. Then go back and try again.

-- Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread