Native American Celt/Hoe? Maryland find

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

Itā€™s been a little since Iā€™ve posted any finds on here. Got out today with tnet members John and Ben, and came across this possible hoe/Celt. It was found on private farm land overlooking Susquehanna River in Maryland, where many artifacts have been found before.

After close examination, we all are feeling this piece has more characteristics of being an artifact than not (percussions, shape, location, etc). Itā€™s still up in the air, but maybe one of you can tell me for sure. Iā€™ll also provide a YouTube link to my channel, which I uploaded a video to just now (feel free to subscribe!)

What do you think?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546121189.363401.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546121202.977664.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546121217.529002.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546121229.197149.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546121240.448649.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546121256.950223.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546121270.400924.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find , I think definitely artifact , correct material could either be an axe that was in the process of being made but looking at the bit it looks used so maybe a rough Celt either way I would have kept it

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@brettco124 still cleaning all of the broke quartz tools. You probably scored the best find of the day with that one though.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m cleaning up mine too. Great day full of tools and exploring! Really excited about this potentially being a Celt/hoe/axe!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think its just a natural formation. The bit end is the thickest part and no reason to thin the long sides on an adz or celt. Material looks wrong as well. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its just a natural formation. The bit end is the thickest part and no reason to thin the long sides on an adz or celt. Material looks wrong as well. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks! I really canā€™t tell. I wish I could though. Iā€™m relying on people who Knapp, like Ben, who can identify percussion areas. Itā€™s very convincing when you hold it, but I know thatā€™s a common statement from people asking for an ID on just rocks lol

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one dry pic for now till I get home!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546193108.558975.jpg

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The material is rhyolite which is common around our neck of the woods. Itā€™s not common for tools but several examples exist. Could be big ole preform we were close to a trade site. I still think its an artifact IMO.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material is rhyolite which is common around our neck of the woods. Itā€™s not common for tools but several examples exist. Could be big ole preform we were close to a trade site. I still think its an artifact IMO.

I sure hope. When I get home, I will take one more set of pics of the edges, but this time, dry. I think it might show possible worked edges better than when wet.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a new video of it dry. I will post pics of it dry when I get home, just in case the video crashes the app (mine does all of the time).

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the photos of it dry. If anyone has anymore opinions, please let me know! Thanks

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546274675.036959.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546274693.150874.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546274704.142159.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546274714.552478.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546274729.289353.jpg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
My mantra, again; "its virtually impossible to determine authenticity from a photograph"

However for what its worth, a stage in the manufacture of a product does sometimes look like the relic you hold.

I have found a number of slate and other material which were 'lost' during the manufacture stage.
The shaping of a hoe, celt, gorget or pendent can be done with knapping the object to a rough shape, followed by a more refined shaping by polishing.

If the relic exhibits flaking all around the edge, its likely an unfinished celt or hoe.

Its hard to tell from your photograph is it is flaked all around, and the one area damaged.

Here is a frame of 7 flaked hardstone unfinished relics.
Interestingly enough the 1 flaked unfinished relics is made from Hixton Silicified Sandstone. A material rather uncommon in central Indiana. But I found Harrison county (Indiana material) relics in Missouri too back in the 70's. So you never know what you may find.

flaked_slate.jpg

closer images of the items

Note the flaking all around the perimeter, with the lighter area the original cortex of the slate. Note the large percussion flaking and the finer pressure flaking.
close_up1.jpg

Same with this unfinished relic.
close_up2.jpg

The large unfinished blade has little finer pressure flaking.
close_up3.jpg

Bottom line: closely inspect the perimeter of the relic for flaking, noting where materialization is and is not found.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mantra, again; "its virtually impossible to determine authenticity from a photograph"

However for what its worth, a stage in the manufacture of a product does sometimes look like the relic you hold.

I have found a number of slate and other material which were 'lost' during the manufacture stage.
The shaping of a hoe, celt, gorget or pendent can be done with knapping the object to a rough shape, followed by a more refined shaping by polishing.

If the relic exhibits flaking all around the edge, its likely an unfinished celt or hoe.

Its hard to tell from your photograph is it is flaked all around, and the one area damaged.

Here is a frame of 7 flaked hardstone unfinished relics.
Interestingly enough the 1 flaked unfinished relics is made from Hixton Silicified Sandstone. A material rather uncommon in central Indiana. But I found Harrison county (Indiana material) relics in Missouri too back in the 70's. So you never know what you may find.

View attachment 1665817

closer images of the items

Note the flaking all around the perimeter, with the lighter area the original cortex of the slate. Note the large percussion flaking and the finer pressure flaking.
View attachment 1665818

Same with this unfinished relic.
View attachment 1665819

The large unfinished blade has little finer pressure flaking.
View attachment 1665820

Bottom line: closely inspect the perimeter of the relic for flaking, noting where materialization is and is not found.

Thanks so much for the great response! Nothing in this hobby could be more frustrating than possibly holding something that could be something grand, but never getting a positive ID. I wish there was a way to get it positively authenticated, as it would be one of my best finds Iā€™ve ever had to date.

Due to the nature of the stone, I canā€™t tell if I truly see flaking, or if itā€™s just naturally occurring chips. The photo and video is the best I can provide, unfortunately. Is there a way to 100 percent authenticate?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The first set of pictures made me think no, the dry pictures makes me think yes. It sort of looks like it has that trimmed look that Dognose mentioned.

It might have been intended as a hoe, but it could also just be a chunk of material they whacked and shaped a bit before discarding it because it wasnā€™t working well. If you get a chance to watch a knapper check rough material, they can move through a lot of rocks and toss out a lot of pieces that have workmanship.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first set of pictures made me think no, the dry pictures makes me think yes. It sort of looks like it has that trimmed look that Dognose mentioned.

It might have been intended as a hoe, but it could also just be a chunk of material they whacked and shaped a bit before discarding it because it wasnā€™t working well. If you get a chance to watch a knapper check rough material, they can move through a lot of rocks and toss out a lot of pieces that have workmanship.

Thank you! Iā€™m going to be bringing it to a local archeologist soon to be checked out. Itā€™s a tough one for sure. When I find out, and if this post isnā€™t too far buried to bump, I will let everyone know.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
prety rough...hoe maybe...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread