What's new

Native American Grinding Stone?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,017
Reaction score
28,144
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I found this on the periphery of an archeological site that was dug in the 1980's and I'm wondering if it's a Native American Grinding Stone. :dontknow:
It looks to be broken in half and is clearly 'dished' in the middle with a flat bottom.
Has this shape occurred naturally due to being in a stream or is it a grinding stone? :icon_scratch:

Any theories would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
David
 

Attachments

  • WP_20171128_03_58_39_Rich_LI (2).webp
    WP_20171128_03_58_39_Rich_LI (2).webp
    415.7 KB · Views: 122
  • WP_20171201_13_32_03_Panorama.webp
    WP_20171201_13_32_03_Panorama.webp
    90.2 KB · Views: 97
  • WP_20171202_08_08_10_Panorama.webp
    WP_20171202_08_08_10_Panorama.webp
    89.2 KB · Views: 107
  • WP_20171202_08_12_31_Rich_LI (2).webp
    WP_20171202_08_12_31_Rich_LI (2).webp
    106 KB · Views: 103
  • WP_20171203_16_32_41_Rich_LI (2).webp
    WP_20171203_16_32_41_Rich_LI (2).webp
    97.5 KB · Views: 116
  • WP_20171203_16_35_38_Rich_LI (2).webp
    WP_20171203_16_35_38_Rich_LI (2).webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 102
  • WP_20171203_16_32_11_Rich_LI (2).webp
    WP_20171203_16_32_11_Rich_LI (2).webp
    67 KB · Views: 115
  • WP_20171203_16_32_33_Rich_LI (2).webp
    WP_20171203_16_32_33_Rich_LI (2).webp
    74 KB · Views: 125
  • WP_20171203_16_33_56_Rich_LI (2).webp
    WP_20171203_16_33_56_Rich_LI (2).webp
    65.4 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
Sometimes there isnt enough left to know so for me its that time
 
Sometimes there isnt enough left to know so for me its that time

I hear you rock... I just have a feeling about this piece though. :icon_scratch:
Dave
 
I hear you rock... I just have a feeling about this piece though. :icon_scratch:
Dave

One time a friend of mine gave me something he found as a gift. I took it back to him and said nice rock and he got mad and said he saw something in it and didnt want to throw it away. I thought he was playing a joke on me but he was serious so if you think you see something in it just keep it and maybe later have another look at it and make a decision.
 
From the pics it looks more like part of a bowl but not smooth like soapstone once it's been worked, is it slippery when it's wet? Maybe go to the museum or where they displayed what they found before, see if the material matches their dig finds. The other 2 pieces are interesting, I've never seen that type of rock with the blue center and the quartz looks worked to me. Since it's a site of a past dig I'll bet there's other things around also, check for run off areas and creeks and search them. Good luck and keep hunting, I'm sure there's something really cool around there or it wouldn't have been excavated.
 
Last edited:
Not sure but I'd say definitely​ not natural

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk
 
One time a friend of mine gave me something he found as a gift. I took it back to him and said nice rock and he got mad and said he saw something in it and didnt want to throw it away. I thought he was playing a joke on me but he was serious so if you think you see something in it just keep it and maybe later have another look at it and make a decision.

Thanks very much for the great story and for the advice to check for run off areas and creeks rock. :thumbsup:
This is definitely a piece that I wouldn't put into the garden until an expert has had a chance to look it over.
Dave



From the pics it looks more like part of a bowl but not smooth like soapstone once it's been worked, is it slippery when it's wet? Maybe go to the museum or where they displayed what they found before, see if the material matches their dig finds. The other 2 pieces are interesting, I've never seen that type of rock with the blue center and the quartz looks worked to me. Since it's a site of a past dig I'll bet there's other things around also, check for run off areas and creeks and search them. Good luck and keep hunting, I'm sure there's something really cool around there or it wouldn't have been excavated.

This is an interesting theory that it might be food bowl as opposed to a grinding bowl NCP.
The bowl looks to have been hand worked but it doesn't have the look of being worn smooth by grinding grains.
The bowl is also lighter then I think it should be, so your theory might hold water... or in this case food! :laughing7:

The blue rock is definitely a mystery, I might have to take it to a rock expert for a closer examination.

Thanks again for your assistance,
Dave



Not sure but I'd say definitely​ not natural

Thanks very much for your post coosa.
Dave
 
Interesting- I have something very similar that I found in a place that had no other stones of same material quite like it... :icon_scratch:
Looks like same stuff as yours eh?

11111.webp
 
Interesting- I have something very similar that I found in a place that had no other stones of same material quite like it... :icon_scratch:
Looks like same stuff as yours eh?


They do look to be of a similar type of stone, although I doubt very much that you're located in my part of Canada crj. :dontknow:
The fact that NCPeaches mentioned that my find might be a bowl to eat from makes perfect sense due to it's lack of weight.

Thanks for sharing the pic of the piece you found, wish mine looked as nice as yours! :laughing7:
Dave
 
Last edited:
Well, I'm sorry but I see No Human rubbed surface on the indentation, I'll call it natural, I used to find some superb grinding stones, for wheat or corn alw
ays amazed at how "worked" they looked.
 
Well, I'm sorry but I see No Human rubbed surface on the indentation, I'll call it natural, I used to find some superb grinding stones, for wheat or corn alw
ays amazed at how "worked" they looked.


I sincerely appreciate your insight into my find Goldfinger. :thumbsup:
Of course, I'm not an expert and we all tend to see what we want to see when it comes to Native American objects found in a farm field or in a creek bed.

It very well might be a stone that has naturally occurred over millions of years... all I can hope in the end, is to get a definitive answer.

Thanks again,
Dave
 
Yeah it looks natural too me it should show some use wear & I don't see it!
 
Yeah it looks natural too me it should show some use wear & I don't see it!

The more I look at this piece, the more I have to agree with you. :icon_scratch:

Thanks,
Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom