What's new

Native or Pioneer?

unclemac

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
8,031
Reaction score
9,228
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So years ago I found this at my village site...(my mother and I argue about who found it but she is WRONG it was ME)...anyway...is this a native made maul type hammer or a settler potato masher? Either way it is pretty darn cool.
 

Attachments

  • DSC04205.webp
    DSC04205.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
Looks like the tool end of a buttermilk maker to me. But then again I really wouldnt know. Interesting looking
 
Very interesting find! I take it that it is made of wood, and if it is I would presume that it would be a wooden maul/mallet. I wouldn't be used in processing buttermilk. To make buttermilk you need churning paddles.
As a mallet, it may have been used in mashing berries for pemican. :icon_scratch:
 
Very interesting find! I take it that it is made of wood, and if it is I would presume that it would be a wooden maul/mallet. I wouldn't be used in processing buttermilk. To make buttermilk you need churning paddles.
As a mallet, it may have been used in mashing berries for pemican. :icon_scratch:

yes wooden...I just can't decide ....mallet/maul or pestle/masher.....
 
Here is an antique meat tenderizer
Made in 1890.

ForumRunner_20130419_220344.webp
 
yeah...i know and here is a maul....see my confusion?
 

Attachments

  • maul.webp
    maul.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 89
And I saw a min ago online one somebody was holding and they used it as a tool in knapping stone some how.
 
It's hard to judge in a photo.. but does it at all appear to have been made on a lathe and just swolen and worn by moisture and the elements ?..or does it appear totally handmade and those grooves just natural? Is there a small hole in the center of the bottom or top of the handle?
 
Last edited:
Where do you live? A few of these were found in Oregon and in Nevada caves. This is why I ask.
 
There has been wooden pestles recovered from submerged sites here in Florida that are very similar also.
 
Where do you live? A few of these were found in Oregon and in Nevada caves. This is why I ask.

coastal southern Washington very close to the mouth of the Columbia
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom