Native Silver? found in Florida

Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on private treasure coast beach property about 50-75 yards from the surf. I also found a boat load of Native American pottery, and petrified pieces of wood that appeared to have been worked. I focused my search around where I thought the waterline may have been long ago. You can't see in the pictures posted l, but the item seems to have different colored stones lodged into it. Any thoughts on what it actually is? It does not react to a magnet, and melts ice on contact. It's light weight. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462891030.939109.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462891048.255101.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462891071.821708.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462891095.338561.jpg

OP
OP
A
Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Light weight, but not that light. It's definitely not aluminum. I cleaned of about an eight inch worth of white crud, and black/green crud. There wasn't any sign of a fire either.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Campfire below the high tide line? A jeweler can test it. There's a lot of alum. alloys, some heavier than others.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like melted cans from bon fire....

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found on private treasure coast beach property about 50-75 yards from the surf. I also found a boat load of Native American pottery, and petrified pieces of wood that appeared to have been worked. I focused my search around where I thought the waterline may have been long ago. You can't see in the pictures posted l, but the item seems to have different colored stones lodged into it. Any thoughts on what it actually is? It does not react to a magnet, and melts ice on contact. It's light weight. View attachment 1310733 View attachment 1310734 View attachment 1310735 View attachment 1310736
You searched where you thought the waterline was? Wow. How deep did you dig?

There are a lot of people on TN that have been searching the Treasure Coast for years and there is a very good site to get helpful hints http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/ Where ever the old waterline is, believe me, unless recently lost, dense silver and gold is under many feet of sand especially in the dunes. Add beach restoration on top of that. But the sands are always shifting. Pottery will move with the waves. So my point is thats its very hard to find old heavy metals unless we have a storm.. Preferably a hurricane to strip the beach sand. I guess its not impossible but highly unlikely to find old heavy metal in deep beach sands. I maybe could give you more information if I knew your area.

Your find is most likely a fire nugget. You would be surprised how heavy melted aluminum will feel in your hand. If yours is very light, it could even be a melted foil pack. We all have buckets of fire nuggets. We even have a Fire Nugget Club here at TN. Im not sure what exactly they do. :icon_scratch: I guess they get
together, show off their finds and refute silver testing methods.:dontknow:

In the slim possibility that its melted silver, you should have it tested. But please have it tested by someone knowlegable on silver testing.

I would love to see pictures of the petrified wood. I found a piece myself rolling in the surf at Rio Mar.. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/95456-petrified-wood-underwater.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You searched where you thought the waterline was? Wow. How deep did you dig?

There are a lot of people on TN that have been searching the Treasure Coast for years and there is a very good site to get helpful hints http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/ Where ever the old waterline is, believe me, unless recently lost, dense silver and gold is under many feet of sand especially in the dunes. Add beach restoration on top of that. But the sands are always shifting. Pottery will move with the waves. So my point is thats its very hard to find old heavy metals unless we have a storm.. Preferably a hurricane to strip the beach sand. I guess its not impossible but highly unlikely to find old heavy metal in deep beach sands. I maybe could give you more information if I knew your area.

Your find is most likely a fire nugget. You would be surprised how heavy melted aluminum will feel in your hand. If yours is very light, it could even be a melted foil pack. We all have buckets of fire nuggets. We even have a Fire Nugget Club here at TN. Im not sure what exactly they do. :icon_scratch: I guess they get
together, show off their finds and refute silver testing methods.:dontknow:

In the slim possibility that its melted silver, you should have it tested. But please have it tested by someone knowlegable on silver testing.

I would love to see pictures of the petrified wood. I found a piece myself rolling in the surf at Rio Mar.. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/95456-petrified-wood-underwater.html

Thanks BigC. That is all very helpful information. Fire has a funny way of making trash look like treasure. Might test it for the hell of it. Out of curiosity what creates the red, yellow, and green stones or crystals? From now on I will be posting on TNET before I search the web. I found several other objects to clean and share. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread