NC photos

Tim in NC

Nov 30, 2004
Grimesland, NC
Charles, Thanks for the tip. I live about 7 miles from choc. and my brother inlaw lives in site of the overpass. I was hoping to find some old maps that would show the old train station and now hopfully (pitch kettle landing) I dont think Ive heard that name for any landings around here.Also am trying to locate the old mill site for the battle of tranters creek. Thanks, Tim

C

Charles,Oak Island

7 miles in which direction. By the way the street going up to the the ball parks behind the school was named for my Dad.
I will look for the map of the camp We have been doing some remodling and a lot of my stuff is now in boxes.l

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Tim,

Sent you an email with photos. Hope it helps.

Nice new avatar, Charles. Looks like you ;)

Darren

C

Charles,Oak Island

Good morning Mr wise cracker,
Yep posed for it last week.
Have a great day Darren.
To windy to take out the boat today may be a good one to hit the beach with the Piranha

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Hi Darren, We have a home on the beach in Oak Island and in Gastonia (next to Charlotte). I would appreciate any pics that would help in either area. Not many places around here for c.w. or rev. relics around here. (char.) I just started hunting the Cape Fear River and I'm doing a whole lot better than I did on the beach. I would love to have some old pics of the area of Southport north to Wilmington. I do have one spot that is producing some great finds on c.f.r. Can't post all my pics but a few are posted in the shipwreck sec.Anything you can send would be a great help, thanks again RK

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darren,

I am comming to Raleigh in just a few day's to see family buy a car and go MD. If at all possible we should meet up and go on a hunt or maybe you could send me a map or two.

Thanks,

Attachments

• cool.jpg
    cool.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,506
  • cool.jpg
    cool.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,502
OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey MUD,

I would love to go MDing, but my schedule is packed this week. Ask your family for directions to Fletcher Park off Glenwood Ave. - it was an orphanage in the 1800s. It has produced some coins for me in the past. It's a massive park, so you could literally spend days there. The grounds people are very nice and usually ask if you've found anything. My best luck has been behind the baseball diamond near the old oak tree and surrounding area. I hope this helps.

All the best,
Darren

P

peasweet

Hi,

Do you have thing for the Kings Mountian or Charlotte areas?

Thanks
Peasweet

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes I do, peasweet. Send me an email addrees to send them to :)

S

SoutherMann

Hi Darren,

Do you by any chance have a map of Stanly county in central NC? Before 1841 Stanly county was part of Montgomery county, if that helps you any.

Thanks,
SouthernMann (Eddie)

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't have much of Raleigh, but I have this article that should open up a few spots...also Fletcher Park off Glenwood Ave. is a huge park that was the site of an orphanage dating back to the mid 1800s. Here's the heart of the article...

After visiting with Cotton Clayton in the morning, I moved on to Raleigh for the next chapter in my Saturday Odyssey. I had known, for some time, that UNC's first football game ever was played at the Old Fairgrounds in Raleigh, but the Old Fair Grounds had not existed as such during my lifetime and the only reference I can remember about the Fair Grounds was that my older brother and sister had attended a Gene Austin concert at the Fairgrounds. I remember nothing about a building existing there and it's quite possible that the GA concert was held in a tent since many traveling acts used tents in the old days.

I knew that the Department of Motor Vehicles Building was now located on the Old Fairgrounds site so there wasn't much to see. There is, however, an historical marker which reads that the N.C. State Fair was established on the site in 1853 and that during the Civil War, there had been a Confederate Hospital there.

We then moved on to the site of the Raleigh Baseball Park which was north on Tarboro Rd. on the West side of the street, in the direction of St. Augustine College, formerly the St. Augustine Normal School. There is a Hardees on the corner of Tarboro Rd. and Newbern Ave. and there is nothing left on the lot where the ballpark was to indicate the ballpark was there, and even Raleigh historians don't know of an existing photograph of the site when it was a ballpark. UNC's second football game ever was played on this site on Thanksgiving Day of 1888. it is not clear why the second game was played at the ballpark rather than the Fair Grounds but it may have been because of a conflict with the State Fair. Not likely since the Fair would have insured a larger crowd.

The third stop on our journey was at the corner of Boundary and Linden Sts. This was the site of the second UNC-Wake Forest game which was played in March of 1889. UNC lost that one also in a thriller 25-17. Trinity came back from a 17 point deficit which was the largest deficit over come in the series until 1985, 96 years later. The field was 110 yards long, a touchdown was 4 points, the forward pass was 18 years away and here's the most unbelievable feature of this game and others.

The second Trinity game was played at the terminus of the Blount St. trolley line. The trolley began its route south of the capitol, went around the capitol building and continued to Polk St. where it turned east through a newly developed residential area known as Oakwood until it reached the end of the line at the intersection of Watauga and Boundary Sts. The Athletic Park was located diagonally across from the Brookside Park. The trolleys were horse drawn and extra trolleys were needed to shuttle the crowd to the game. Attendance at the games averaged around 1000 and the playing field was roped off to prevent spectators from entering the field of play.

While visiting the site of the third game, I met a nice young lady who was moving into a house on the corner across from the Athletic Field. I explained to her what I was doing and she seemed interested. I told her that I had frequently visited a classmate back in the 40s who lived in the house she was going to occupy I also told her that I remembered shooting baskets at a goal mounted to a large tree across the street where apartments are now located.
N.C. STATE FAIR / 1873-1925 STATE EXPOSITION OF 1884 / CAMP POLK, 1918: H-34; The area across Hillsborough Street from this site, today combining commercial and residential use, has a varied history with particular significance to the development of North Carolina State University. Extending from Brooks Avenue to Horne Street, the tract was from 1873 to 1925 the second site of the North Carolina State Fair. In October 1884 the fairgrounds hosted the State Exposition which promoted agriculture and mechanical arts, thereby boosting the state's industrial growth. Exposition president William S. Primrose served as first chairman of the board of trustees of the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (present-day N.C. State University), founded in 1887. The site in 1918 was part of Camp Polk, a World War I tank training facility. Hillsborough Street in Raleigh. WAKE 1994

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darren,
If you have any maps of the Kannapolis- Concord area that I can have it would be great. It's hard to figure out where things used to be around here.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to the forum, enamel7. I wish I could post all my maps here, but most of the files are too large. If I shrink them, you wouldn't be able to make out anything. I sent them via your email. Lemme know if you get them okay :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread