What's new

Nearly perfect hamilton and others

tnmudman

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2017
Messages
709
Reaction score
1,537
Golden Thread
0
Location
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found these my last couple of hunts.I wish the very tip was still on the hamilton.I really like the white point also even though its only half of it, I don't recall ever finding one with a base like that.
 

Attachments

  • 0625171611a.webp
    0625171611a.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • 0625171612.webp
    0625171612.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
  • 0625171612a.webp
    0625171612a.webp
    936 KB · Views: 110
  • 0625171613a.webp
    0625171613a.webp
    832.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 0625171614e.webp
    0625171614e.webp
    654.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 0625171612c.webp
    0625171612c.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
  • 0625171833.webp
    0625171833.webp
    400.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 0625171834a.webp
    0625171834a.webp
    364.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 0625171834b.webp
    0625171834b.webp
    377.1 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
Better pics

What is bothering me is this point was stuck or dried in a clod of dirt i should have carried it back to the truck and got it wet first instead in my haste and greed i pulled it off right when i picked it up , now i wonder if I broke the very tip off in doing so0625171921.webp0625171920a.webp
 

Attachments

  • 0625171920b.webp
    0625171920b.webp
    685.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 0625171920.webp
    0625171920.webp
    580.1 KB · Views: 105
A real beauty nonetheless! If you have a loupe you could probably tell if the tip (and it is not missing much) was recently broke or not. But it is a beauty! All nice finds!
 
That is nice. Yeah you could tell if it was recently broke with a loupe for sure. Great find....

Does anyone know how these non-notched points were attached?
 
That is nice. Yeah you could tell if it was recently broke with a loupe for sure. Great find....

Does anyone know how these non-notched points were attached?

Tip of the Arrow would be notched so the point could slip into the groove. Then tightly wrapped with sinew. Tar or resin was also used as a type of glue which came from pitch pines.
 
Those needle tips are really fragile, I broke one off just putting it in my pocket! Really nice group of finds there.
 
Tip of the Arrow would be notched so the point could slip into the groove. Then tightly wrapped with sinew. Tar or resin was also used as a type of glue which came from pitch pines.

So just like a notched pint but without notches....seems it would be hard to wrap.
 
So just like a notched pint but without notches....seems it would be hard to wrap.

I just thought that's how it was done. Probably less secure than a notched point I could be wrong.
 
That is nice. Yeah you could tell if it was recently broke with a loupe for sure. Great find....

Does anyone know how these non-notched points were attached?

The Hamilton was used with a bow/arrow attached with sinew and was made up until contact here in Tennessee. They have amazing workmanship and will fit on the head of a dime.
 
Most of the tiny triangles I find are missing the ear on one side not sure why or maybe they were made that way? I have to ask on the last big worked flint piece what are you calling it? You had a good hunt
 
Im not sure about that big piece rock, i guess i would call it a chopper or a hand axe.I have also found some hamiltons with one ear knocked off, and many more broke in various ways. They are thin and easily broken i guess i have found at least 50 broken ones and maybe 5 that are whole.
 
Im not sure about that big piece rock, i guess i would call it a chopper or a hand axe.I have also found some hamiltons with one ear knocked off, and many more broke in various ways. They are thin and easily broken i guess i have found at least 50 broken ones and maybe 5 that are whole.

Yeah that last piece is very nice though crude but I like items like that. The ears on those little points have what they call an auricle (sp?) on the ears which break very easy. I really like hamiltons and madison's all those little points though not that old.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom