andren98

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
West Mighigan
Detector(s) used
Still looking
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everybody I am new to this site and new to metal detecting as well. I do not yet have a metal detector but I am looking. So far I have looked that the Tesoro Compadre and the Bounty Hunter Quicksilver. I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the two detectors or suggestions for others. I know some people will probably say spent the money and get a higher end model but the thing is I don't have the money. All replies are appreciated. THANKS!!

Upvote 0
If it was me, I would stay away from the Bounty Hunter. I would go with the Tesoro, or a Fisher F2 if you would rather have a screen.

Go to www.kellycodetectors.com I just bought my garrett ace 250 from them it cost me $202. They emailed me a $10 off coupon when I signed up for there news letter. And it was free shipping and came with a bunch of free stuff.

Thank you for the info but now I have 2 more questions. What is wrong with the bounty hunter and what is good about the Fisher?

For one, the BH that I have has horrible depth, even with brand new batteries. One big advantage that the F2 has over the BH that I see is the pinpoint function. You are probably going to get some falsing with either one, as they have preset ground balance, and neither of them will handle salt water beaches well. Also, for a little more, you can buy the F2 with a DD coil, which is said to get better depth.

I don't know anything about them really. I am new to MDing as well. I just chose the ace 250 because it had good reviews and very easy to use. TAKE10 is the code at the website I gave u. $10 off of $100 purchase.

The Ace 250 is a good machine too from what I hear. It is all in what you want. The Fisher gives a VDI number, where the Garrett gives you a bar of what it probably is. It pretty much depends on what you want.

sweet thanks I will probably go with the Ace 250 or the tesoro compadre. Does anybody have any other suggestions for cheap detectors? Also I may sound stupid for asking this but what is a VDI number?

Last edited:
Visual Display Indicator. It gives a number based on the size and conductivity of the target. So instead of a bar being shown under the word 'dime', you might have the number 83 come up on the screen.

I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. They go for around $170 and I have no issues with mine and think it works great! I love to go surfing, so after a session I'll spend some time on the beach with the detector picking up all kinds of stuff. I also have a 3 year old, so I visit a lot of parks...and I find plenty there as well. I think it just came down to learning how to fine tune the settings for this particular detector. For the money, I think this model is the best bang for your buck! :icon_thumright:

The compadre has a lifetime warranty and tesoro just introduced a model with an 8in coil. It will run forever on just one 9v battery. I started out with an older version of the quicksilver and its ok. it uses a lot of batteries and it does not discriminate well. In hindsight I should of bought the compadre, but I didn't know what I was doing.

I have tried both the Garret Ace 250 and the Fisher F2. In in my opinion the F2 destroys the 250.

First off the Garret tones, to me, are insanely annoying. I don't like anything about the device. To me the boom is of poor quality. It isn't tight and clicks and clacks while swining it. Target identification and discrimination in my opinion is horrible! It'll get you within a few square feet of the target and the pinpointer is a joke.

The Fisher F2 on the other hand is amazing. It's build solid and the functions are way easier to use. I think the target identification, discrimination and pinpointer is dead on. I would recommend the F2 to anyone that wants an easy to use, beginners detector, that will not let you down. This thing is FANTASTIC!!!

My friend just bought a 250. He stopped by my house to show me. We went out back, threw down some coins and got to work. By the end of the test my buddy was using my F2 and he asked if I would trade him lol. He ended up packing the 250 up when he got home. Returned it immediately and now has a F2 that he loves.

Just buy the F2 already! You will not be disappointed!

Last edited:
Save your money for something better. Do a little research, do you even have your drivers permit yet?
sweet thanks I will probably go with the Ace 250 or the tesoro compadre. Does anybody have any other suggestions for cheap detectors? Also I may sound stupid for asking this but what is a VDI number?

Save your money for something better. Do a little research, do you even have your drivers permit yet?

OUCH!

FWIW, I've been detecting since 1983 and have used only a few machines, of which the most recent was a
CZ-6a. Hellofa machine, so never had any reason to buy a new one. Also never had the need to learn the
terms associated with new digital displays (such as VDI), and was glad Andren asked the question. Been driving
anything with wheels since 1975, including 750k miles in Freightliners. Forced to retire on disability when I was
53, and living on SSDI alone is challenging. Been saving for 4 months myself so I can get a Gold Bug Pro, and
it's tough for both young folks and those of us that invested our earnings into our children instead of 401k's.

I mean no disrespect, but not all of us are "schooled" in the digital machines, and in this
case, if you read the questions being asked, Andren actually is doing his/her research by
coming here and asking questions of experienced people.

I don't always say things the right way, and I apologize if this sounds a bit "sharp", as it's
meant to simply give you a different perspective on folks who might be asking that very
same question.

Andren: I have no personal experience with either one of the machines (F2 or Ace 250),
but I have owned machines from both manufacturers. The Fisher was a far better machine,
in all respects. It was built like a tank, whereas the GTA 1000 I had just prior broke at the
connection of the upper rod and housing..pretty much unrepairable.

BTW, have you looked at the classifieds (on the site) for a better machine that might be
used, but well cared for?

No matter which one you choose, your gonna have a lot of fun using it. Be persistent,
and soon you'll be popping up coins and other goodies!

Last edited:
I have a Fisher 1260X which I bought in 1984. I wanted to get back into the hobby, so I picked up an Ace 250. The Fisher was a big buck machine back in the day, and in my opinion is still a better detector than the Ace. The Ace works, and works okay, but the Coin ID and Depth Indicator are not accurate. And with the Fisher it wasn't unusual for me to dig coins at 8" and even 10" at times - a lot depends on the soil, moisture in the ground, etc. The Ace doesn't handle ground conditions as well as the old Fisher!

Moral of the story, why not scan Craigslist for an older used detector? Don't discount the older technology. With the new inexpensive ones with bells and whistles, you still need to listen to the ground, learn the signals. So get proven technology!

Thank you everybody so much. I have just ordered the fisher F2 and can't wait until it arrives.

I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. They go for around $170 and I have no issues with mine and think it works great! I love to go surfing, so after a session I'll spend some time on the beach with the detector picking up all kinds of stuff. I also have a 3 year old, so I visit a lot of parks...and I find plenty there as well. I think it just came down to learning how to fine tune the settings for this particular detector. For the money, I think this model is the best bang for your buck! :icon_thumright:
I wouldn't take it in the wet sands on the beach. The moment my coil went over some wet sand on a Florida beach it started falsing like no other. Anytime the coil moved it would beep.

I wouldn't take it in the wet sands on the beach. The moment my coil went over some wet sand on a Florida beach it started falsing like no other. Anytime the coil moved it would beep.

Yeah, it can do that. For me, I just lowered the sensitivity a bit until it stopped sounding off constantly, and that fixed it. Now all the extra beeps are just from all the beer caps and pull tabs since I don't use discrimination on the beach cause I'm looking for anything and everything. :thumbsup:

Check out the whites coin master $160 before you buy read the reviews online and watch some you tube videos

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back