What's new

Need a rough "date" estimate on these shards.Thanks

civilman1

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
9,388
Reaction score
1,685
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA-MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Need a rough "date" estimate on these shard's.Thank's

I found an old cellar hole and I'm trying to get an estimate on the date of these shard's.My brother eyeballed a 1827 LC >:( I just want to find out if this place could be even earlier.Thank's for looking
 

Attachments

  • Pottery Shards 001.webp
    Pottery Shards 001.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 267
Re: Need a rough "date" estimate on these shard's.Thank's

The piece to the left. Can you read any of those words? Or get the letters off of it?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need a rough "date" estimate on these shard's.Thank's

DirtyMike said:
The piece to the left. Can you read any of those words? Or get the letters off of it?
Hey Mike....I couldn't find any piece's that had any marking's on them but I'll be looking today.Thank's
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need a rough "date" estimate on these shard's.Thank's

Maybe this will help it's a good site for shards!
http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Index.htm
Continuous Repeating Designs – Vessels with Continuous Repeating Designs have repeating motifs whose patterns run unbroken around the marly on flat wares or below the rim on hollowware. These borders fall within four primary categories: geometric, floral, other and linear. Click here to view examples.

Geometric motifs incorporate honeycombs, lozenges, and grid patterns and are found most typically in conjunction with Chinese and Chinoiserie central motifs. They have a peak production between 1818 and 1829.
Continuous floral borders were produced most commonly between 1820 and 1836.
Other borders with repeating motifs that are not floral, e.g. of fruit, seashells, leafy scrolls, grapes, etc. These elements were most commonly produced between 1825 and 1848.
Linear patterns consist of closely spaced concentric lines running through the marly or border motif. This design element was most commonly produced between 1842 and 1858.


This is the closes on the blue piece! I've got to get right and go but this site will help you! :thumbsup:
(1780-1830)
 

Attachments

  • cont%20rep%20geometric%20ruth%20saloon%20feature%20r-5[1].webp
    cont%20rep%20geometric%20ruth%20saloon%20feature%20r-5[1].webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0
Re: Need a rough "date" estimate on these shard's.Thank's

I am trying to locate that mark but my first impression is both those pieces look like ironstone to me. That would place them post 1813 -

Example of ironstone blue transfer print - "Blue Willow" design-

!Blt1j,gB2k~$(KGrHqMH-D8EtZKEcjFWBLc)Q44duw~~_12.JPG
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need a rough "date" estimate on these shard's.Thank's

Willow is 1790's to present, but the mark looks like it says WARRANTED which is definitely 19th c.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom