Need advice on new detector purchase.....

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
I am not an oldtimer when it comes to detecting, have been in the hobby for quite some time now. Just haven't taken it as serious as I am starting to. I have 2 detectors I bought through Kellyco and am going to send them back for something a little more user friendly, but need some advice on the better detectors to choose from. The Minelab Safari is great for depth but, due to sensitivity in mineralization, has become a problem. So, trading that one in is gonna be priority 1. The other was the BOGO at the time I got the minelab, and is the Cobra Hybrid. I get to send that one in for repairs, but want to get rid of it too. It just doesn't get the depth I thought it would. So, #1) for mineralization, what is the best detector? And, #2) What would be a good dependable 2nd detector? Depth is important as well as it not being too complicated. I'd like at least 6 total to choose from, but need pro's and con's with all. Thanks.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a second detector I would look at the Tesoro range and pick one with a ground balance control. Light, easy to use, fairly cheap, reliable and the lifetime warranty.
As for your Minelab it should deal with all but the most extreme mineralisation but in fact they often don't for some reason like certain types of clay ground. Problem is that lots of other detectors will also have the same weakness which is where a local club comes in useful as you can find out in minutes what does work well in your conditions.

Your other problem is going to be that you will miss multifrequency when it comes to any wet sand detecting. If your not doing much beachwork you could just pick up a older Sovereign or basic P.I. for use on holiday.

OP
OP
T

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep the Minelab. I'm gonna trade the Cobra for a T2, I think. Have been hearing great things when it comes to cutting through Virginia clay and finding relics in "worked out" areas. Already talked to my wife and she says we're gonna make the quality purchase.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi tomiggy are you running the safari with auto-sensitivity on? That mode gives me troubles here and I like to run in trashy sites at sensitivity 6 here with the FBS800 coil. May try even lower for some sites to see if it works better later. T2 = Teknetics or Fisher ? Have been hearing the gold bug 2 is great machine.

CARM

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tomjiggy - you should get a hold of Mike Post at Woodlands Toll-Free: 1-855-966-3563
Mobile: (828 ) 242-5407 (cut and pasted from his site)
- he's got good intel on detectors -is a hobbyist and sells minelabs and all major brands- he's very knowledgeable about what he sells and will walk you through setup and use of your detector on the phone (he's even helped people from Tnet that bought stuff from other places than him.) but bottom line -he offers great customer service for what he sells. I'll buy from him again! He also from time to time has good deals on stuff- new/used...best to contact him and tell him where your planning on detecting, as he's from the east coast and is located in NC- I bought a minelab off him last summer, and an AT-Pro this spring- both good deals. it's worth the phone call just to ask him, as he'll be able to narrow down a great machine for what you want it to find/do.

good luck man.
~Fitzy

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my T2 but as the Goldbug has been mentioned in Britain its described as "nearly as good as the Deus and £800 cheaper". As for dealers they are all in the game to make a profit so its always buyer beware.

OP
OP
T

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Sounds like solid advice on all accounts. The T2 is a quality detector, but if the Fisher Goldbug 2 is almost as good and cheaper I amy want to go with the Goldbug 2. The T2, with trade in of the BOGO detector will cost me an additional $500-700. The Goldbug 2 might cost me an extra $200, give or take a little. Thanks for the advice all.

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like solid advice on all accounts. The T2 is a quality detector, but if the Fisher Goldbug 2 is almost as good and cheaper I amy want to go with the Goldbug 2. The T2, with trade in of the BOGO detector will cost me an additional $500-700. The Goldbug 2 might cost me an extra $200, give or take a little. Thanks for the advice all.

I have a T2 and if you plan to do any detecting at the beach forget about it...but it will do great in the clay. I would go with a AT Pro if you hunt in different soil conditions often.

OP
OP
T

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
I'm sorry, spoke too soon. Just checked KellyCo and the T2 and Goldbug 2 are about the same price. Both list for less than $800 total, but with trade in of my BOGO I'll pay around $650 for either one. I think I should still go with the T2 as was my original decision.

OP
OP
T

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
I will most likely be hunting in several different soil conditions, and I have a Minelab Safari for certain types such as the beach. It works well in the sandy soil in S. Carolina, but Georgia clay makes it give false signals quite often. I can't imagine one detector that will cover all different types of soil, so I have 2. I picked the wrong one though, which is why I started this post.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I use Garrett AT Pro the easy way: STD mode, sensitivity 7, coins program, iron disced out (40), manual ground balance. Get almost no trash this way, the ID is super accurate to 7" or more both numerical & tone, gets tilted coins, separates well, can go underwater to 10'. Uses 4AAs, just over 3lbs. Underwater headphones sold separately ($85). Also Teknetics G2 (same guts as Gold Bug Pro DP) separates well, larger numerical ID, ground phase readout tells when its time to re-do the ground balance. It is powered by 1 9 volt, under 3 lbs. It IDs my 5" deep dime zinc/dime. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread