What's new

Need an inexpensive metal detector - can you recommend one?

mbu

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 6, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I would like an inexpensive metal detector that just needs to pick up metal items that get lost - like bolts, nuts, and keys! Can anyone recommend one that would do the job?

Thanks....

I'm new here so I hope I posted this in the correct category!
 
A detector from harbor freight if its just for bolts and nuts and such... they run around $20-30 and will work fine since most of the stuff you will be looking for is lying on the ground or just beneath.
 
txkickergirl,

Thanks for the reply!

Your suggestion sounds good...I'll go and take a look at one later today.

For the sake of competitive shopping, can you recommend another manufacturer so I can compare?

Thanks...
 
txkickergirl said:
A detector from harbor freight if its just for bolts and nuts and such... they run around $20-30 and will work fine since most of the stuff you will be looking for is lying on the ground or just beneath.

Harbor Freight 1st choice :thumbsup:
Other choices: flea market,Craigs list,ebay,yard sale,etc. Any brand would probably do for your needs.
 
I would not try harbor freight.

You should get an entry level bounty hunter. They are cheap, but they wont fall apart so quickly. You can find them at some walmarts and radioshack.


Larry
 
yeah the bounty hunters are probably your next bet they are a bit more but you can also do some coin shooting with it
 
tesoro compadre or fisher 1212x-----low cost/high quality and they don't need a handfull of batteries to operate
 
txkickergirl said:
yeah the bounty hunters are probably your next bet they are a bit more but you can also do some coin shooting with it

You cant beat a Bounty Hunter for the money!
But you cant get a cheaper one than Harbor Freight.

I have Bounty Hunters and am completely happy with them as being good all around detectors and easy for beginners to use.
 
Tesoro Compradre lifetime warrenty. great machine turn and go.
 
One thing to point out is that if you are looking in an area for bolts and things you might of lost and its a machine shop environment with metal shavings littered around and such, then a tesoro would not be the machine since they are sensitive and will pick up tiny fragments. But if you really just want something for bits and pieces why not just sweep the place with a board that has magnets on it.
 
Goodyguy said:
It would work just fine. White's is an excellent brand!
I guess we/I misunderstood what you meant by inexpensive.

Goodyguy,

Sorry...It seems that most of the detectors you all use are well over $1000.00! I'm not looking for one that does everything but I don't want to get something that will not last very long. I guess what I'm asking all of you experts is what is a good detector without paying a lot for a name? But...maybe a name is well worth it!
 
txkickergirl said:
One thing to point out is that if you are looking in an area for bolts and things you might of lost and its a machine shop environment with metal shavings littered around and such, then a tesoro would not be the machine since they are sensitive and will pick up tiny fragments. But if you really just want something for bits and pieces why not just sweep the place with a board that has magnets on it.

txkickergirl,

This is for farm work and sometimes things fall off in a grassy field etc. and they are not just "nuts and bolts" but are about that size - I'm sorry I wasn't specific! I tried using a magnetic sweeper that was 18" in width but that never worked - perhaps the grass was too deep and bumpy. I was hoping to use a metal detector as some of these parts may be aluminum or brass.
 
If you are out to get the cheapest of the cheep that will find nuts and bolts lost in the grass while doing shade tree auto repair, I bought one for $20 at a kragen auto parts store. It will perform to your specifications.

The harbor freight models may be a step up, but never can tell how long they'll last, for more $'s.
Radio shack is another step up and you may be able to take it back if it fails.

The Tesoro Compadre is a quality machine for minimal cash outlay I prefer to advise.
About $150 new, w/lifetime warranty.

Your call!
;D
 
mbu said:
Goodyguy,

Sorry...It seems that most of the detectors you all use are well over $1000.00! I'm not looking for one that does everything but I don't want to get something that will not last very long. I guess what I'm asking all of you experts is what is a good detector without paying a lot for a name? But...maybe a name is well worth it!
Because of personal biases toward one brand or another you will have a hard time getting everyone to agree on a single brand or model that would be best for you.

With that in mind I suggest you try this link that leads you to a discussion board here on Treasurenet of the different brands and models and their strengths and weaknesses. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,208.0.html There you can gather more information to base your decision on.

*Or just get a Bounty Hunter like me and it will do exactly what you need it to do. I promise. :thumbsup:

Sincerely,
Buddy~

* personal bias.
 
Lots of times you can cut the cost in half by buying used on one of the forums...here or others. Give that a look. I don't have a Tesoro but if I wanted to do what you say...I'd say they are right on target. Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom