What's new

Need help cleaning a bullseye canteen.

Mluke

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 5, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgia
If someone could help me out i would be really appreciative. What is the best way to clean up and preserver a dug canteen? It has some rust but is in pretty good shape. Will electrolysis work or will it eat through it since it is so thin???
 
Get lots of advice from the relic guys and several opinions before you do anything. Nice find!
TnMtns
 
Got a photo?
 
Actually I didn't find this item. I bought it. I will try and load a pic of the canteen later today.
 
Not seeing it I can't be any help but there are people who professionally clean relics like that. If your in GA you might contact American Digger Magazine and I'm sure they would know someone. I dug a sword with an iron scabbard a few years ago and was afraid to mess with it as the scabbard was thin. It cost $40 to have it cleaned and preserved but to me it was well worth it. Like someone else said I wouldn't do anything until you get some good solid advice
 
If you have an original CW canteen with a little rust, I wouldn't try anything electronic or caustic or abraided...A $500 item can become $0.50 in no time.

If its imparative to be cleaned, I'd have it professionally restored as vayank54 suggested...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom