Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
www.padi.com

Good internationally recognized training organization.

As far as the gear, they can help guide you, also you might wish to pick up a copy of Skin Diver or some other dive magazines.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree w/ NC Brad go with a PADI instructor. These Instructors are trained to a standard and operate out of a standard syllabus. However, remember that these dive shops don't make the bulk of there income from offering dive instruction. They make the bulk of there income from equipment sales, so they will try to steer you in the direction of the equipment brands that they carry. I'm not saying that they will try to dump cheap gear on you. However, you will need to do as Brad said, check out the annual gear reports in the dive magazines, and talk to some experienced divers not affiliated with the dive shop, or even better, like I did when I got started, Just Rent the gear, trying something new each dive until you are satisfied that you are getting the best piece of equipment for your money.
Remember, you are betting your life on this gear, so make the most informed and educated decision you can before you hand that card to the cashier.

For me I got a new Zeagle Ranger BC last season, a good BC, but a little difficult to deal with on the surface. However, it meet all my expectations below the surface, with no interference with my Excalibur while working the bottom. Other than a new mask and snorkel, the bulk of my gear is almost 10 years old and outdated. But it still works good.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread