All I can say is WOW!

Robert in SC

0107_Scapa_Sonar_Koln2.jpg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats nice but i bet very costly.im in connection with a local company near me that developed a 360 degree scanning laser thats scans in color or b/w.im working on getting 1 unit on loan to test mounted to the bottom of my boat on a gyro stable platform to scan the ocean bottom at 180 degrees.
it sells for $95,000.they said it can do one 80 meter scan in less then a minute.

i have a powerpoint image they sent me.i told them to scan a salt water fish tank.the detal is there.i cant post the powerpoint image here,if anyone wants it email me an ill send it to you.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres a 3d scan of a warehouse.check out the detail.

Attachments

• 3603dscan.gif
    3603dscan.gif
    74.9 KB · Views: 521

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give up, why does it show shadows from overhead lighting, and bend straight lines? Looks like a regular photo to me.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brad,

any 360 or 180 degree device will distort straight lines.just like a 180 degree fisheye lense distorts.3d laser scanners scan what they see,shadows,lighting,objects,everything that your eyes can see plus even more that you dont see.works just like a flatbed scanner.scans more detail then you can see with the naked eye.then renders it as a 3d image,better then any 2d photo.what you see on your computer monitor is 2D.unless you have a high end video card that reads 3D.3D is amazing to see.i know.one of my machines here does 3D on the monitor,but then again its a $30,000 machine made by quantum 3D made to do real time flight sims.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Brad,

A more significant question is, this image was taken through air, has this unit been demonstrated through water like FISHEYE plans on using it?

I have never heard of a laser being able to penetrate silt and suspended particles. But, then again, I don't know everything!

FISHEYE, I would like to see the images they sent you in the Powerpoint presentation. I am very interested!

Robert

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Not sure where you are Fisheye, so don't know where local is, but a google of 360 degree laser scanning turns up a company in PA: http://www.quantapoint.com/ that seems to do what you describe.

Emailed them, and maybe I'll even hear back (in which case I'll post their comments here) but I'll bet a case of beer that a laser-based technology won't work underwater at any useful distance. I've done research work in the lab with lasers and aqueous bio-materials and scatter is a huge problem, as Robert has already noted. Add to scatter the inherent absorbtion of saltwater (red-biased but significant across the entire affordable laser spectrum and a problem even with just a few feet of water) and it seems impossible that any image could be obtained let alone at the quality and detail of the warehouse images you show. But I'd love to end up owing you that case of beer, as getting images like that underwater would be A+.

But the multibeam sonar that started the thread is amazing. Gotta quote Robert again: "WOW."

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
FISHEYE,

Got the powerpoint image, but it is just the same picture you have posted here in the forum. Nothing showing any scans underwater.

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Wow! First post I was blown away....but then I started thinkin....diffusion in water.....big difference than in air, as RGecy suggests. Particularly with color spectrum/ie; laser technology. As with most technology, including this, the ocean environment is a whole 'nuther world. Fisheye, could I swing up andcheck this out with ya'll some day soon? I'll bring my own lunch and fill you in on our bottom penetrating sonar (as much as I can...i'm no expert)
Nasa refugees and Bell South expatriots developed this...so MY description will be sorta, uh, vague. But it does work, but that post you put up. Wow!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think Bruce has been working on that technology since 1957! I sure would like to see it work however Skimmer and I wish you guys success this salvage season.

I have a press clipping somewhere, from about 1993, of John Debry and HRD claiming they had the sub-bottom sonar that would detect coins through 30 feet of mud or sand. I am not sure if they were working with Bruce at the time or were developing their own technology. A few of their personnel during that time were engineers from Martin Marrietta (now Lockheed Martin)

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
GDaddy-
You know Bruce? Cool, you Do get around, huh?
Yeah, Bruce is an allright dude, I lke him and enjoy workin with him. We'll see how we do this season.
The sub-bottom sonar is pretty impressive, but, again, its not my forte.
OK, here's my current question.......ready?.......how come the sidescan thread and the Query from NC Brad regarding dockage, slips/haulout facilities, etc
now won't show up on the list of topics...Maybe I angered the Gods??? Woulnd't be surprised, and wouldn't be the first time. haha Mike

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Nevermind.......now its back..both the sidescan and yhe marina thread.....go figure. Sorry if I got ya'll wondering. Wind and rain here in Port Fierce at the moment, and I've got dialup..(help). Maybe it was my goofy web-tv box. Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread