Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im sure this ruby ring is gold but I dont know what karat. For some reason, I cant get a good pic of the mark. I even tried a white background and loupe.

There are 3 letters. The second and third Im sure are TC. The first maybe an I.

The numbers Im sure are 96910. There appears to be the upper part of a K.

ITC 969 10K? or ITC96910K? What is 969?

Attachments

• gold ring ruby mark3.jpg
    gold ring ruby mark3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,795
  • gold ring ruby mark.jpg
    gold ring ruby mark.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,371
  • gold ring ruby mark2.jpg
    gold ring ruby mark2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,353

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Here's a similar design -

2905601708824040_1.jpg

10K Gold Mens Ring Amber Stone
Price
USD 81.00
Status
Active
Bid Count
End Time
5/4/2011 2:58:32 PM EST
2m 34s

i think it is this ring described:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=16&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Featured Item
View Item 10K Gold Mens Ring Amber Stone
Seller: youronlineauctionplace Feedback: 10668 (100.0%) PayPal 0 bids $49.0
(US) 6d 22h 10m~
View Item Here s another great item from the family at YourOnlineAuctionPlace! ______________________________ 10K Gold Mens Ring Amber Stone Mens Ring White gold with a diamond-like stone on each side Marked JTC 969 14k Size 8 Total ring weight 4.67 Grams Seller Information Check out our ratings and you will see we are a reputable seller.

eta - I found the actual ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290560170882

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Ebay fees end up being around 10%. A refinery would be another option for you, but expect to wait about 2 weeks for the transaction to be complete and they will take their 10% as well.
I need some money now. Ill need to sell a few pieces this weekend. How close to the spot price should I expect to get at a pawn or jewelery shop? What percent do they usually take? :help:

A pawn shop will normally pay 30%-50% of spot. Avoid pawn shops and "WE BUY GOLD!" places like the plague.
OK I got ya. I didnt know that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bramblefind said:
Here's a similar design -

2905601708824040_1.jpg

Price
USD 81.00
Wow thats it thanks. :icon_thumright: The price appears to be low even for melt. Ill keep an eye on it.

The color of the stone however is all wrong. The ring was my Dads. He like rubies especially and would not have an amber stone in his ring. His belt buckles, tie tacks etc all have rubies. I wonder if My Dad had a ruby put in special after the war. Or maybe a spinel? :dontknow:

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Ok, I was out for a bit. The 969 almost definitely is the model number. Not an uncommon thing--I have seen it before. Don't need a purity mark with 10K on it.

The stone looks pretty chewed, so who knows what it is. The diamonds are very minimal, even before assuming that they are low quality for a low end ring.

I don't know about tarnex, probably not. Use a toothbrush and warm water. NO TOOTHPASTE. If you have it handy, mix equal portions of ammonia and Mr. Clean, then add water equaling the mixed amount (ex: 1 cup, 1cup plus 2 cups water.) Makes a good all round jewelry cleaner. Put the ring in a small plastic bottle (Film can--any of those around?) and give it a good shake.

Otherwise, sell-sell-sell.

My dad had a ring his mom purchased when he went into the AF. 1949. Big red man made spinel. He always thought it was a ruby also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bramblefind said:
The 10k ring sold for $85.65.
My calculator shows 7.8 grams 10K worth $166.60 for melt.
Tuco's calculator shows $157.25.

This is all new to me because I never sell my Gold or coins. You really need to do your research.

Im going to have to take a hit to raise a few bucks this weekend. I have a friend that may give me melt on some chains. The rest will go either to the refinery or eBay with a starting price at melt value. I maybe could even sell here at TN classified for free. Thanks Bramblefind and Tuco for your fast response. TN is the number one place for help. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
High Plains Digger said:
My dad had a ring his mom purchased when he went into the AF. 1949. Big red man made spinel. He always thought it was a ruby also.
OK I hear you. Thanks for the help. The tiny diamonds are not as crude as the picture appears but I guess it doesnt change anything.

Anything anybody else can add will be appreciated.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Another important piece of knowledge: 5cts equals 1 gram. Don't let them cut you any more than 5 cts for the stone. Without a good measurement, I would say 3-5 cts.

Perhaps the first stone photo has fingerprints on it. But it appears that the corners of the face have chips on them. That would be more likely than the scratches that I thought I saw.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
High Plains Digger said:
Another important piece of knowledge: 5cts equals 1 gram. Don't let them cut you any more than 5 cts for the stone. Without a good measurement, I would say 3-5 cts.

Perhaps the first stone photo has fingerprints on it. But it appears that the corners of the face have chips on them. That would be more likely than the scratches that I thought I saw.
The ring is dirty, my camera lens may also be dirty. Sorry about that.

Looking closely with the loupe it appears there are tiny chips in the corners of the stone. Does that make it fake?

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Nope, makes it chipped.

On a good man made, it usually takes a fairly high power microscope to tell. The "bubbles" and other features in the crystal formation is different than in natural. Chemically and physically and optically, exactly the same.

If it had a lot of wear, where the corners and edges were worn noticeably, then one would have to wonder about it's composition. Glass is a lot softer than most stones.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
BigCy--you were looking at the yellow stone ring and wondering if your dad put a ruby in his. Probably they came factory done and he could have ordered the "ruby" style rather than the amber. They probably had a dozen or more different colors available. It looks like a tough one to set with the heavy edges over the stone, which is why I think it may be factory done. But not improbable for a shop job. In fact, it may have small prongs of some sort in the back to hold the stone in that way. That would have made it easer to have a "Model 969" available when someone came in and wanted a ruby.

And you asked about a fortune in rubies? A 3ct ruby can run from 20 bucks (and it's ugliness will prove that is all it's worth) to more than a 3 ct. diamond. Multiple thousands per ct, depending upon the color (there are 52 shades of "ruby") and clarity. And any more, location. Burmeese rubies are worth a lot more than Indian, Mozombique, or African rubies, but the location thing starts to fall off a little as it gets better.

Went into Zales a bit back, and what rubies they had were all the exact same color. Almost impossible to do, unless they are man made. And they were. After all, they are the "diamond" store. Didn't know crap about Tanzanite, either.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The one on ebay is only 4.67 grams Size 8. Minus 1 gram for the amber and the melt is worth $93.99 so the price realized was not so bad.

Mine is apparentrly much larger at 7.8g. Ill have to find a way to determine the ring size before selling on eBay.

Gotta love the price of gold. Gotta head to the beach.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
High Plains Digger said:
And you asked about a fortune in rubies? A 3ct ruby can run from 20 bucks (and it's ugliness will prove that is all it's worth) to more than a 3 ct. diamond. Multiple thousands per ct, depending upon the color (there are 52 shades of "ruby") and clarity. And any more, location. Burmeese rubies are worth a lot more than Indian, Mozombique, or African rubies, but the location thing starts to fall off a little as it gets better.
Cappy Z sold this large Ruby for $38. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,260452.0.html

Im sure its genuine. What is the true value?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bigcypresshunter said:
I need some money now. Ill need to sell a few pieces this weekend. How close to the spot price should I expect to get at a pawn or jewelery shop? What percent do they usually take? :help:

A pawn shop will normally pay 30%-50% of spot. Avoid pawn shops and "WE BUY GOLD!" places like the plague.
I went to a jewelry shop down the street that advertises with a dancing man "WE BUY GOLD" and for what its worth I got above melt value. He offered me $350 for an 8.7 gram 18K cross. Did he make a mistake? This was $100 more than the first place offered so I sold it. Im cashing the check at his bank first thing in the morning.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If that 18K cross weighed 8.7 grams then you got a good deal. I'm surprised.
I am very surprised too. I was worried about the check but I just cashed it no problem. The bank is across the street and a few blocks east.
Maybe he knew he cold sell it. http://www.fountainsjewelers.com/ http://www.fountainsjewelers.com/

Ill have to try my 14K junk next. I dont know if Im allowed to post this.

Attachments

• jewelers fountains.jpg
    jewelers fountains.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I was at York Coin Fair on Saturday, and was talking to Gold Coin & Bullion dealers, they said that Gold would continue to rise till 2014 :o

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There is no doubt in my mind that gold will continue to rise with the coming bad times.

Gold is now at an alltime high of $1604!! Thats good for beach hunters.
Silver is $40.56. I dont know if thats an all time high.

I will sell most of my gold and some of my silver when it reaches $45. The rest I will save. Im afraid Ill have to bury some of it to be safe.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
There is no doubt in my mind that gold will continue to rise with the coming bad times.

Gold is now at an alltime high of $1604!! Thats good for beach hunters.
Silver is $40.56. I dont know if thats an all time high.

I will sell most of my gold and some of my silver when it reaches $45. The rest I will save. Im afraid Ill have to bury some of it to be safe.
I'm not sure but I think silver hit $50 an ounce back at the end of April, if not it was darn close. I'm waiting to see what happens with silver, I think an all time high is coming in the next several months. I got a few pounds to let go of if it does. That guy gave you more than melt on that cross, i'll have to keep him in mind before I sell on ebay this time. Did you post a photo of the cross anywhere on tnet? Haven't been on here in a few days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diggummup said:
That guy gave you more than melt on that cross, i'll have to keep him in mind before I sell on ebay this time. Did you post a photo of the cross anywhere on tnet? Haven't been on here in a few days.
No sorry I didnt take a pic. It was kinda plain, not old, but not damaged. I was just getting prices but $350 was too good to turn down. He claims to pay best price in town.

Ill let you know how it goes with my 14K stuff. I didnt sell the ring.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions