Need Help Id-ing A Lovely Vase

AlexP7

Greenie
Oct 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if someone can help me this lovely Japanese vase I got at a tag sale recently. I collect Chinese & Japanese porcelain & fell in love with this one. I paid under $5.00 for it. It seems to be very nice quality, it is porcelain, it looks to be celadon. It has a lovely floral design. I'd like to know what it is & when it dates from. Even if it's not valuable I still love it anyway. It's beautiful. There is no damage on it at all. It's about 10.5 inches tall. There is a large red mark (in English) on the bottom that reads:
Micro Tokyo 1987. I'm wondering what does the large red symbol mean? Of course my first thought was that this meant it was made in Tokyo in 1987 in one of the porcelain factories or something. There was no "Made in Japan" sticker on it at all. Just the mark on the bottom which is unusual.

But if you look carefully, there is some kind of small blue Japanese mark or signature underneath the large red one, but I can't make it out, but it's definately there under the large red mark. There are two distinct blue characters under the large red seal. I can read some Japanese, but I can't make them out. I'd love to know more about it, when it dates from, etc. Maybe it's from 1987, but I haven't been able to find a single one like it anywhere on the internet. I'm hoping it's somewhat old, but even if it's not, I'll still treasure it I love it. Thanks for any assistance!

005.JPG

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 100

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't make out the blue lettering, too blurry. Not that I could read it if I could see it, lol. Strange red mark on there. Is it under the glaze or stamped after the fact?

OP
OP
A

AlexP7

Greenie
Oct 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am baffled by the marks on the bottom. The vase itself in terms of the design & shape remind me of an Imari but just not sure. I haven't seen another like it. It's a lovely piece, I'm not sure what the large red symbol says, if it's a Japanese character or something..The blue is too small for me to read, & partly obscured by the red mark. I'm not sure if it's an old piece that the red mark was placed on later..I just don't know enough to say.

I looked at the bottom again, and it does appear that the red mark is over the glaze, stamped after the fact. The small two blue characters seem to be under the glaze. This is quite the puzzle! I'm hoping it's an antique, from the Meiji or Taisho or early Showa periods, but again, just not sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread