What's new

NEED HELP IDENTIFYING!!! Big Tooth? Bone?

olekyground

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
1,565
Reaction score
429
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one in a corn field in Horse cave Ky. I am not sure what this is? Please help. thanks!
 

Attachments

  • hannahbabyy 001.webp
    hannahbabyy 001.webp
    36.6 KB · Views: 495
  • hannahbabyy 002.webp
    hannahbabyy 002.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 454
  • hannahbabyy 003.webp
    hannahbabyy 003.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 454
  • hannahbabyy 004.webp
    hannahbabyy 004.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 465
  • hannahbabyy 005.webp
    hannahbabyy 005.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 451
  • hannahbabyy 006.webp
    hannahbabyy 006.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 454
I think neither bone nor tooth. I found a fossil that looks something like yours near Etown, KY. I'll post photos of it later. Don't know what mine is either.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Alright, here are my pics. Does yours look similar to this fossil? I've got another one somewhere that more closely resembles yours (that is, less worn). Couldn't find it this evening. I hope fossis or Harry will jump on this one.

IMG_0026.webp
IMG_0027.webp
IMG_0029.webp
IMG_0030.webp
IMG_0031.webp
IMG_0035.webp
IMG_0038.webp
 
Actually I dont think it resembles that much. It somewhat has the shape, mine is about 6 inches ling and about 21/2 inches wide. It has very destinctive lines that run down it. I dunno.
 
I think they look essentially similar myself. I believe one or both of these items is fossilized horn coral. Kentucky and Indiana are a common area for this to be found.The differences could simply be the conditions they've been exposed to in the past 320-360 million years.
Both are nice finds! Not overly valuable, but very cool.
 
Thanks for the post Mr. Ground,

Seeing your fossil reminded me of the two I've got. My other one more closely resembles yours, in size and shape, and the lines on the one in the pics of don't show very well, but they are distinct on mine as well. Mine's just more worn down. Different species? Different material? Fossilized horn coral eh? I'd say that you're probably right Mr. Benz. I've found lots of other fossilized corals all over the state.

Thanks for the input Mr. Benz, Mr. Kache,
Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Horn corals are found in several areas around the country, and several different species can be found as well. I found this one here in Alabama, while looking for Chrinoids in a chert filled ditch.

This one I believe is a Streptelasma.

3036299915_5e529e317c.jpg
 
Hi Mr. 1,

Where did you find out that yours is Streptelasma, and do you know where could Mr. Ground and I find out about ours?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
thanks everyone for your comments!! It is officially a horn coral!
 
I carry a golden guide "fossils" with me. I identified it first in there.

fossils_02.jpg


Then made confirmation with my National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils.

9780394524122.jpg


Both are small and fit nicely in a fanny pack or back pack.
 
Hi Mr. 1,

I guess it's time to go buy another book or two. Anyone in the eastern US who likes wildflowers should buy Newcomb's Wildflower Guide by Lawrence Newcomb ISBN 13: 9780316604420. It's great for identification. It work best in New England, but is very applicable outside the region as well.

IMG_0063.webp

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Boomer-1 said:
...Then made confirmation with my National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils...

Boomer-1, this is an excellent guide. I highly recommend it. :icon_thumright:

One of the first fossil books I purchased, and still one of my favorites.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom