🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Need help identifying - Fossilized Teeth?

salexander15

Aug 28, 2023
Hiya! Newbie based out of Austin. Always been a fan of history (received my degree in History from Texas State, but like most people, life took me another direction).

Recently stayed at a cabin in AR and used the time to learn my new metal detector. No great finds - Broken horseshoes, nails, and barb wire. However, I did find a couple of interesting creek finds.

Looks like three molars, right? Pics never do it justice. Looked up deer, horses and cattle and don’t think that’s it. Thoughts?

Also found a carving that I’ll post later.

Thx!

teeth1.jpg
teeth2.jpg
teeth3.jpg
teeth4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpeg
    IMG_1807.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1806.jpeg
    IMG_1806.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • teeth5.jpg
    teeth5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The subject is pretty blurry, like it focused on the table. Could you post some retakes?

Upvote 0

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know if it’s teeth or what kind (could be), but it might also just be a rock with some crystal formation on the edge. Parts of Arkansas, particularly the northwestern part, are littered with quartz crystals, many of which are milky white like that. I’ve seen tons of rocks with veins and pockets of white crystal material like that, which would present something very similar of you broke off a shard and tumbled it around a creek for a few years.

Upvote 3

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know if it’s teeth or what kind (could be), but it might also just be a rock with some crystal formation on the edge. Parts of Arkansas, particularly the northwestern part, are littered with quartz crystals, many of which are milky white like that. I’ve seen tons of rocks with veins and pockets of white crystal material like that, which would present something very similar of you broke off a shard and tumbled it around a creek for a few years.
I'm seeing what your seeing. A rock.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
salexander15

salexander15

Aug 28, 2023
Absolutely, it may just be. I probably should’ve titled this post “Quartz or Teeth”. The only reason I’m considering teeth is the shape & symmetry.

Thanks for your input!

Upvote 1

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As posted above looks like some quartz crystals in rock. Neat find though! Most of the fossils I find look just like broken pieces of bone just in a mineralized form, you know it when you see it. One of the best giveaways is the spongy inside. Here is some examples of what I’m talking about. But keep looking you will find something!
F2636DDA-D636-4BF9-87E8-22659A7BBAEA.jpeg
3AE1B0F6-D1AC-4E41-A22E-E7142C1BF387.jpeg
6B8E68B2-3A9E-4A24-B18D-EE9851830EB4.jpeg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread