Need help identifying these little metal men...

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I was younger, about 35-40 years ago, finding a couple of these around a barn in the neighborhood where I grew up, in a small NY town in the Hudson Valley. I was always told that they were attached to the barn and had fallen off, and that they were put on there for protection or good luck. I don't know how true this was, or if it was accurate. But, I do know that they were on the barn at some point in time. All of them that we ever found were around the barn.

The legs had points for feet and the hands were little circles. Each guy is about 3" tall and weigh approximate 20grams when complete. They have single digit numbers on their body (1, 4, 5, etc..). They appear to be cast bronze or brass but not sure.

Well, I last week I went back to visit my family and took my detector. I found about 11 more of them in the ground on the side of the barn, in various stages of condition. I've searched the web over the years and have not been able to find out anything about these little guys. Has anyone ever seen them? Or seen any information on them?

TinMan.jpg
TinMenNStuff.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help ...
Ron

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what them little fellas are supposed to be.....elf, clown, the tin man? I'm curious on this one.

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen or heard about good luck barn figures. They are really neat :icon_sunny:

Were they attached to the roof of the barn? Could they have functioned as snow/ice catcher? Seem to recall spikes were put on roofs to avoid big sheets of ice/snow falling from tall buildings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
grafer

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IronSpike said:
I've never seen or heard about good luck barn figures. They are really neat :icon_sunny:

Were they attached to the roof of the barn? Could they have functioned as snow/ice catcher? Seem to recall spikes were put on roofs to avoid big sheets of ice/snow falling from tall buildings.

Don't know where they were attached on the barn ... :icon_scratch: I've never seen one attached. All I remember is finding them on/in the ground on the side of the barn, never in front by the doors. I should mention that the barns are long, tall, dairy type barns with big doors on the ends. Matter of fact the homestead is the old Borden's Dairy Farm. My parents house was an old worker's house from about the turn of the century, and the old Borden Mansion was/is just down the street.

Upvote 0

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
Seems interesting that they're in a running attitude with the arms out front. Wouldn't look right just hanging on a wire run through the hands. Looks like someone was either in production, or they were part of an elaborate setup. I'm puzzled by the different digits cast into them, since they all seem to be pretty much identical.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
72cheyenne said:
Wonder what them little fellas are supposed to be.....elf, clown, the tin man? I'm curious on this one.
Wow, those are cool little Pinocchio's. :thumbsup: Maybe they had clothes at one time.
Pinocchio.jpg Pinocchio2.jpg pinicchio.jpg

Upvote 0

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
They remind me of a few "french" marionettes that I watched a show about once (yes I was REALLY bored)....

anyways they had the EXACT same looking heads, just like in the Pinocchio's above!

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
They were probably attached to a wind powered blade like a small wind mill and and when the wind blows and the blades turn the little men did something such as sawing wood . I remember my grandma had such things but they where made of wood.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
grafer

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in case it matters ... there are no moving parts on these guys. All legs and arms are rigid (like they are welded in position). Also, they were spread the length of the barn (which was 300-400 feet long). I don't know if the barn would have that many windmills ... ???

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the most interesting and possibly challenging posts I have seen lately. I have been around rural settings most of my life and never seen anything like that. Makes me think it might be some kind of ethnic thing like Mineonites for example. No , I don't think it is religious but perhaps more of a immigrant thing? They appear to be running and possibly pushing something, or maybe holding onto something moving fast? Sure has me wondering. Monty

Upvote 0

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
being from florida I have never seen these things :tongue3:

but looking at your links I think your right and a steel rod went down along them
to reinforce the roof.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
grafer

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IronSpike said:
'Snow guards' is the term for the roof device. A wire may have run through the hands of a line of Pinocchio's?

Some snow guards sometimes also decorative.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...f+snow+guard&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=20&um=1

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...+snow+guard&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=420&um=1

Interesting... thanks for those links. I suppose it's feasible that they are snow guards.. But, these guys are only 3" tall and if a wire went through the hands it would it would have to be the size of a guitar string. Plus most of shape of the snow guards in the links seem to be flat to hold back the snow. I don't see how the shape of these guys would hold back anything... unless they were purely decorative one's, not functional. Hmmm....I don't know .... :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

sanford.

Aug 3, 2005
For what its worth.... the arms, legs and bodies appear to be made from chain saw or some other type of chain link parts (motorcycle/bicycle) . As for the head--- no clue :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently many different styles/systems of snow guards. The links I previously posted were to illustrate the type with rail/wire and also that some guards actually also are decorative besides functional. If googling "roof snow guards" you'll notice how the many styles and designs (can't find the Pinocchio design). This link shows a guard system without bars/wires and more the size of your relics.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ev=/images?q=roof+snow+guards&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

If home made guards these relics even more unique.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
grafer

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IronSpike said:
Apparently many different styles/systems of snow guards. The links I previously posted were to illustrate the type with rail/wire and also that some guards actually also are decorative besides functional. If googling "roof snow guards" you'll notice how the many styles and designs (can't find the Pinocchio design). This link shows a guard system without bars/wires and more the size of your relics.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ev=/images?q=roof+snow+guards&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

If home made guards these relics even more unique.

What position do you think they may have been mounted? Head pointing up the slope toward the peak? Standing up with the pointed foot in some sort of bracket? Standing up, facing outward, mounted to a bracket with a wire though the hands? Trying to get a visual in my mind.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread