Need help IDing a few bottles

Sam K

Jul 2, 2010
Need help ID'ing a few bottles

I was looking through a collection of bottles my dad found about 30 years ago, and there are a few with no markings and one other that I need help ID'ing. There's 14 total, but maybe I'll ask about the other later.

The first one (first 2 pictures) is about 11 7/8" tall, 3 1/4" wide at the bottom and the opening is 1/2". The only writing is in an oval and it says Bartlett Spring Mineral Water California.
The next bottle (pictures 3 and 4) is just over 8" tall, just under 3" wide at the bottom with a 3/4" to 1/2" tapered opening. There's no markings and the bottle is pretty heavy and a really dark brownish green.
The third bottle (pictures 5-7) is 10 3/8" tall 3 1/2" wide at the bottom and the opening also goes from 3/4" to 1/2". Again, no markings and this ones a lighter shade of the same color as the last.
The last one (pictures 8-10) is 9" tall, 2 3/4" wide at the bottom and has a 3/4" opening. It feels very light, and halfway up the neck has 3 ribs. The body has 8 (ridges?) down it. This one has no marking either.

If anyone knows anything about these bottles or can help identify/value them that would be very helpful. There are 10 others in the collection, which I might post once I get some info on these 4.

Attachments

• CIMG0036.JPG
    CIMG0036.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 352
  • CIMG0037.JPG
    CIMG0037.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 357
  • CIMG0039.JPG
    CIMG0039.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 345
  • CIMG0050.JPG
    CIMG0050.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 360
  • CIMG0049.JPG
    CIMG0049.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 354
  • CIMG0048.JPG
    CIMG0048.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 330
  • CIMG0046.JPG
    CIMG0046.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 340
  • CIMG0042.JPG
    CIMG0042.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 342
  • CIMG0041.JPG
    CIMG0041.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 360
  • CIMG0040.JPG
    CIMG0040.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 351
OP
OP
S

Sam K

Jul 2, 2010
Re: Need help ID'ing a few bottles

That's interesting...got me researching Bartlett Spring a little bit and I found this
http://lakeconews.com/content/view/19174/919/
Specifically, "By 1874, there were 75 cabins and tent units, and the Bartlett water was for sale throughout the state, apparently being transported in barrels, and later in glass bottles that were covered with woven tules for protection against breakage."
The bottle has no marking about Vittel (starting bottle water in 1985 at Bartlett Spring), and I couldn't find any pictures of a Vittel bottles that looked similar, so this one may have been ones sold in the 1870's.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Looks like a pepper sauce bottle, a Warners in the background, a soda also and the amber or darker one might be a Pabst. Nice stuff right there. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
S

Sam K

Jul 2, 2010

You're right about the Warners. That one of the most interesting ones, along with the WM Pfunder's Blood Purifier. Do you have any other information on the Warners or one of the ones that might be a Pabst?

I found this auction for the Blood Purifier bottle, it looks like it's the exact same bottle, so I should get a good price estimate from that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Bottle-WM-PFUNDER-CO-Blood-Purifier-PORTLAND-/320724443885

Attachments

• CIMG0052.JPG
    CIMG0052.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 327

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other

The two black bottles appear to be english ales or porters, the Warner's doesn't have much value but they display nice, about $10-20 tops. The pepper sauce is nice ....Jim

OP
OP
S

Sam K

Jul 2, 2010

Currently 35 minutes until the auction I mentioned earlier ends for the Blood Purifier bottle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Bottle-WM-PFUNDER-CO-Blood-Purifier-PORTLAND-/320724443885#ht_500wt_1413
The current bid is just over $50. I have two questions, one is that the top of the bottle in the auction is different than the one I have, and another is would trying to clean the bottle raise it's value? If so, how would I go about cleaning it? I read that fine copper wool it OK for glass, and also someone suggested a spoonful of rice mixed with soap and about half the bottle full of water will clean the inside. The inside of mine what looks like a crusty white/light gray material built up a little. I read that bottles that were dug sometimes have this, but I don't think this one was every buried. If I clean it, I don't want to go to a professional cleaner or buy any specialized tools. Anyway, here's a picture of what mine looks like. The writing, from top to bottom is
OREGON
TRADE MARK (across chest of the baby)
OMNES PROSINT (R on top of W between the two words)
COPYRIGHT SECURED
BLOOD
PURIFIER
WM PFUNDER&CO
PORTLAND, OR
And on the bottom, it says 'W.T & Co'

Attachments

• CIMG0073.JPG
    CIMG0073.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 280
  • CIMG0075.JPG
    CIMG0075.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 289

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

If the bottle has never been buried, you may have dried contents (OR the glass may be eroded by the content residue). Try to remove the stains in the shoulder.

You can use just about any cleaning product (except Whink) to clean a bottle. Hydrochloric (muriatic) acid will not harm the glass. LimeAway is commonly used if you have limey deposits or iron deposits.

What I have found generally useful is laundry bleach.

I fill a bottle with tepid tap-water to which I add a tiny amount of laundry detergent (because it is non-sudsing) and a dollup of laundry bleach. I let it soak for a few hours.

If the glass is "sick," that is, decomposing, no cleaning product will remove the sickness.

OP
OP
S

Sam K

Jul 2, 2010

Thanks! I might try the hydrochloric acid, we have some in the garage. The neck of the bottle it pretty skinny, so I don't know if I would be able to scrub inside it at all, but I'll see what I can do.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

Sam K said:
Thanks! I might try the hydrochloric acid, we have some in the garage. The neck of the bottle it pretty skinny, so I don't know if I would be able to scrub inside it at all, but I'll see what I can do.
I was not recommending hydrochloric acid for this job; I was pointing out what a broad range of choices you have for cleaning solutions. HCl is at the extreme of that range. Try the laundry bleach first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread