dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
need help id'ing type of buckles

good morning all

I found these 2 buckles the other day they are circular with a hole in the middle and a clip on the side that looks like a strap went thru. they are both ornate and 1 still has some gold plating on it. the other says on the back C ROWLE can't read the rest and on the bottom it says patent with no date pics up shortly thanks for any help

dylan

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: need help id'ing type of buckles

Dylans pics. Suspender buckles?

kenb

Attachments

• 509822248108_0_BG.jpg
    509822248108_0_BG.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 709822248108_0_BG.jpg
    709822248108_0_BG.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

These are the "wreath" halves of mid to late 19th century two-piece, "tongue &* wreath" belt plates. Some were military; others were organizational; still others, stock (generic) ornamental patterns.

Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

kenb said:
Dylans pics. Suspender buckles?

kenb

Ya know Ken, I've found some of these that are thin and light weight. I think they're suspender buckles too.

PBK, I believe you're right in the design with the tongue and wreath, but I don't think they're durable enough for holding ones pants up.

Dylan can you post a pic with a coin for size reference?

Burt

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

wildrider said:
PBK, I believe you're right in the design with the tongue and wreath, but I don't think they're durable enough for holding ones pants up.

Tongue & wreath buckles were often worn on thin leather or cloth dress belts, and were also sometimes worn on sashes. Those made for military field usage were of cast or heavy stamped construction. Dress buckles were generally of thin, die-stamped construction. Check out the extreme thinness of the one shown in the last photo at:

http://www.civilwarpreservations.com/catdet.asp?TargetItem=SRP309&CategoryType=relics

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread