need help on finding a topic i had read............

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Upvote 0
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,70348.msg512893.html#msg512893

I use a Musketeer Advantage and it is a "silent search" machine with no display of any type. It's all about the sounds for me. Mine has a vocabulary of a couple dozen sounds. A "click" or consonent sound on either side of the beep tells me it's likely trash. Squeeks and squawks are bad, nice round smooth beeps (vowel sounds) are good. I get very faint signals on the deep coins.

I have a set of Black Widows that I really like. Block out all but the loudest background noise and register murmurs, but have level protection so I don't blow my eardrums on a Coke can.

When I search in the woods or foundations I set the dicsrimination very low. Not the "All Metal", as I seem to do better with just a hair of mineral discrimination but with iron still in bounds. Trashy sites I still keep nickel silver (about 4/10ths of the dial) and have no masking ranges, so I dig a lot of litter. I've also found some surprises that would probalbly have been masked out (rings, chains, small lockets, small RR, bus & trolley tokens, etc.)

This was in a headphones discussion. Not all detectors have the same tone qualities. Some have "ringtones" that go off when it detects a target but allways sounds the same. Some have a background threshhold tone, some silent.

All comes down to learning your machine. Make a "Test Garden" and bury some good and trash items at various depths and practice there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back