Need help on how to open this safety bolt!

gnitaro

May 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm a just a newbie here.,

I would like to know if this picture is legit this came from my old friend an old treasure hunter.
He told me that they are looking for someone who knows how to open this bolt.
see picture below.

2013-05-21 21.05.32.jpg2013-05-21 21.05.46.jpg

according to him, this was dug a month ago in la union.
I just want to know more about this thing and also to help him just in case.

Upvote 0
Best way is for a lock smith he can pop that open in no time flat...other way is for a torch to ruin the safe by taking the hinges off....old vintage safes are worth some money that being said i think id call the lock smith

as of the moment we cannot find any trusted locksmith here that knows how to open. a bolt like this one..
I'm just wondering where and what is the brand of this bolt.
according to my contact there is a year 1906 engrave near the eagle icon.

unless you get really Lucky & someone here has the exact same one,
My guess you will need much clearer pics to get the best possible attention.

Good Luck though !
sounds interesting

Thanks Sir jeff of pa, :-) I'll try to take some actual pictures of it.

hope someone here knows about this one, Its a very lucky thing! :-)

metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Why the "film" over the safe pictures gnitaro. Something just isn't right with the pictures...

metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Why the "film" over the safe pictures gnitaro. Something just isn't right with the pictures...

looks like photos of photos.

or photo copies of photos to me.

Maybe even 3rd. or 4th. Generation pics

Last edited:
one "peels" a safe by turning it upside down...
take a cold chisel and a big old hammer...and get to wacking...cut a line down both sides, and one line across to connect the two...pry bar necessary...
no fire involved.

Research required!
On some older safes when knob removed a steel shank extended into gear box. On some driving said shank into gearbox allowed opening.
In time stock was made of softer material defeating such abuse. Delaminating from a corner in laminated safes as mentioned was done too. Hammering to "flake"a layer at a time. A locksmith would be my choice to allow integrity of safe. Even allowing reuse.

water impulse charge I've used them a lot to open steel doors

Scouts out!

Thank you for all the replies, we now have a trusted locksmith.. now lets try if this thing will open..
The owner wants to preserve the bolt as it is.. that is why he only wants a locksmith..
I keep you posted about this.. :-)

Best way is for a lock smith he can pop that open in no time flat...other way is for a torch to ruin the safe by taking the hinges off....old vintage safes are worth some money that being said i think id call the lock smith

Cutting the hinges off does nothing, because the hinges only holds the door up when swung open, they do not provide the security on the hinge side. There are fixed bolts on the hinge side of a safe door that fit into bolt pockets on the jamb plate.

Some locksmiths can "manipulate" the old direct contact of the gate bar on the wheels. With a builder's sketch, a locksmith can layout a drill site that will put a borescope over the wheels to visually see the alignment.

My friends a Locksmith.... I'm just going to :cross: warn :cross: you of some things, :flag_red: asbestos :flag_red: is in old safes and so is :cross: Tear-gas :cross: traps in some.... You "NEED" a locksmith for sure... You said you have one, but if you need another one or a 2nd opinion... I could ask my friend for some advice or if he is in the area that your in he could get in it... :icon_thumleft: he's worked on many old safes for people, I've even helped on a few... I hope somethings inside, keep us posted !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back