Need Help - Shoulder Problems

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I started this hobby this spring, but I'm already beginning to develop problems with my right shoulder. I usually go out about three times per week for about two hours at a time. But lately, after I've been out, I'll have this persistent pain in my right shoulder. I'll usually take some Advil, which seems to help. I've also tried to use my left arm at times when detecting, but it's awkward. Any suggestions? ???

BPMM

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Keep practicing with the left arm and you will be surprised at how natural it will seem after time. I can swing equally well with either arm since I had to adapt to both arms to compete in organized hunts years ago. Another option is to use a swingy thingy or it's equivalent. It uses a harness and bungee cord to let your upper body support the load instead of your arm, but I don't know if that will help your situation or not. A third option is to use a lighter detector but most don't want to go that route. Good Luck and hope you find a solution.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
BPMM- This may seem like a silly question, but have you had a doctor examin your shoulder? It would be good for you to know the origin of the pain you're having.

Smitty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your detector able to be hip mounted? This would take a lot of weight off the arm.

I got Golfer's elbow once and couldn't hold even the shaft of a hip mounted detector. I got the injury from playing Xbox 360, Pirates of the Carribean.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
You might try slowing down your swing speed, the stopping at the end of a fast swing can really tear you up after a bit, even though you don't notice it at first.

Like Sandman said, hip mounting! Takes half the weight off your arm.

There is also the option of using a sling. Just a strap around your shoulder/neck and attached to the detector to put some of the weight on your body, not your arm. There is a product out there called the "swingy thingy" I believe.

OP
OP
bedpanmoneyman

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks guys. I think Jeffro had it correct upon reflection of my technique. When I get to an area with very few targets, I usually speed up with the DFX (it's got such a fast processor). That's when I experience the shoulder pain.

BPMM

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
Sandman said:
Is your detector able to be hip mounted? This would take a lot of weight off the arm.

I got Golfer's elbow once and couldn't hold even the shaft of a hipjury from playing box pirates of the bean.
DUDE you need to find some new elboe games to play ;D

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go on ebay thier is a guy that sells modified shafts for your detector that are more ballanced also you could get a shoulder strap they make them for detectors.
Hope this helps.
when i started detecting i had the same problems but the muscles will get stronger and pretty soon your detecter will be just like part of your body....as it should be

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread