Leech221

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I'm new here but i think this is the only community that can help. I have 500 Spanish Reale recovered in the 1980's. I have narrowed it down that the shipwreck had to be from 1689 to 1860. The person who discovered the coins died later that year, so we cant get any information from him. No one knows where he went to find them all we know is he went to the Caribbean and Bahamas. His name was Pete Peters if that helps at all. The Reals dates range from 1669 to 1689.I will be able to update this post in a day or two with pictures, and possibly answers to any questions. I know this is a big task, and i have already done quite a bit of research.

Update: Pete served in the navy. The coins were bought in 1980, but could have been found as far back as the 1950's prior to any laws regulating the taking of objects from the waters.

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Hey guys I'm new here but i think this is the only community that can help. I have 500 Spanish Reale recovered in the 1980's. I have narrowed it down that the shipwreck had to be from 1689 to 1860. The person who discovered the coins died later that year, so we cant get any information from him. No one knows where he went to find them all we know is he went to the Caribbean and Bahamas. His name was Pete Peters if that helps at all. The Reals dates range from 1669 to 1689.I will be able to update this post in a day or two with pictures, and possibly answers to any questions. I know this is a big task, and i have already done quite a bit of research.
Leech221, my best guess without doing research is that the coins came from a wreck oin 1689 or 1690.
Since 500 coins were recovered? I think the wreck still has many more on it.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they from a cache or a shipwreck? If you can read the dates and if the coins have not had restoration, it will be hard to
figure the origin unless there is knowledge of the source location. A pic would help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Leech221

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Man:The man that found the coins only gave me 500 of them. I think he had more, but I don't know how many he could have had a lot.

Bobinsd: it was from a shipwreck, the coins are in good enough condition that I can get the date and possibly the location. I am at a coin show right now I might have a couple with me, but i will be able to get pictures of them Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are far too many ships, that sank in the Caribbean and Bahamas, to try narrowing it down. Spanish coins once were a legal money in the US. In fact, in the days of horse pulled construction plowing chests (full of nothing but Spanish silver coins) got dug up in New Orleans area, when some new hotels were built. Sometimes these chests popped open when hit, spilling coins everywhere (work came to a halt) the workers would grab as many coins, as they possibly could leaving behind only a portion of the loot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Leech221

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red_desert: the man that found the coins was in the navy. That means that he only had access to Guantanamo bay in Cuba but he wasn't allowed any where else in Cuba. As you said there were a lot of coins found in New Orleans. My goal though is to find the name of the ship the coins were found.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Leech, "The Treasure Divers Guide" by John Potter has a terrific section in the appendix that lists every wreck by year. In 1689 there is only one wreck called THE GALLEON OF BLANCO listed that struck a rock and sank just outside Havanna Harbor. Since your friend was in Guantanamo it is very likely that the coins came from this wreck. It is well known that the local divers would pick treasure off the wrecks and sell it to supplement their income. I think that this wreck is your best bet.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Leech, "The Treasure Divers Guide" by John Potter has a terrific section in the appendix that lists every wreck by year. In 1689 there is only one wreck called THE GALLEON OF BLANCO listed that struck a rock and sank just outside Havanna Harbor. Since your friend was in Guantanamo it is very likely that the coins came from this wreck. It is well known that the local divers would pick treasure off the wrecks and sell it to supplement their income. I think that this wreck is your best bet.

This^^^^^^. You need this book - see p 152.

OP
OP
L

Leech221

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I'll defiantly check out the book. I'm gonna try to get the book by this Christmas. You guys have been awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread