What's new

Need help with a button

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
2,429
Reaction score
697
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Hello!

I dug this button today in Corvallis Oregon. Is there any button experts that can help ID this one? It's in pretty bad shape. I pictured it next to a dime that I also dug today. The back of the button fell off. I took a close up pic of the back piece too . . . . . I can't make out the lettering, but I'm sure someone knows what it supposed to read.

THANKS!!!
Neil
 

Attachments

  • Feb5-2012button.webp
    Feb5-2012button.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Feb5-2012buttonBACK.webp
    Feb5-2012buttonBACK.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Feb5-2012button&COIN.webp
    Feb5-2012button&COIN.webp
    24 KB · Views: 195
From what I can see, it looks like an officers button. Not sure about the age.
 
Upvote 0
It is a 3-piece staff officer cuff button.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Duggap and BuckleBoy, it is a cuff-size 3-piece button prescribed by US Army Regulations for use by Staff rank (Major and higher) officers, from 1832 to 1902. The one you found has the "wide" rim, which for US Army Staff Officer buttons means it was manufactured sometime between the 1870s and 1902.

Here are photos of 3-piece buttons to show anbody who doesn't already know the difference between a narrow rim and a wide rim on 3-piece buttons.
 

Attachments

  • button_US-Army-Staff-officer_narrow-rim-1832-1870s_photobyRelicman_B5464A_small.webp
    button_US-Army-Staff-officer_narrow-rim-1832-1870s_photobyRelicman_B5464A_small.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 179
  • button_US-Army-Staff-officer_wide-rim-1870s-1902_photobyRelicman_B6369A_small.webp
    button_US-Army-Staff-officer_wide-rim-1870s-1902_photobyRelicman_B6369A_small.webp
    8.7 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
I agree with Duggap and BuckleBoy, it is a cuff-size 3-piece button prescribed by US Army Regulations for use by Staff rank (Major and higher) officers, from 1832 to 1902. The one you found has the "wide" rim, which for US Army Staff Officer buttons means it was manufactured sometime between the 1870s and 1902.

Here are photos of 3-piece buttons to show anbody who doesn't already know the difference between a narrow rim and a wide rim on 3-piece buttons.

YEAH ~ that's great! THANK YOU for the info! very cool
 
Upvote 0
What is that backmark?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom