What's new

Need help with ID or what era

gadigger81

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2011
Messages
428
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
I found these and was wondering if you guys could ID these or maybe a time frame. The first 2 are brass. You can see the second has some kind of weird looking shank. The next one is also brass. The last is so corroded I doubt if anyone could ID it. Think it might be pewter?? Next I found a buckle of some sort and a brass D ring. Thanks for any info!
 

Attachments

  • scan0011.webp
    scan0011.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 321
  • scan0012.webp
    scan0012.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 317
I would have thought the first two were tacks but I see the loop on the 3rd one. :dontknow: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,367668.0.html

I think button and a tack head are almost identical because we have had heated disagreements over this ID in the past. Older tacks are all brass but newer brass tacks may have a steel shank.
 

Attachments

  • tack_2.webp
    tack_2.webp
    47.1 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I would have thought the first two were tacks but I see the loop on the 3rd one. :dontknow: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,367668.0.html

I think button and a tack head are almost identical because we have had heated disagreements over this ID in the past. Older tacks are all brass but newer brass tacks may have a steel shank.

Yeah I could see it being a tack. The other 2 have loops. Any ideas on the others?
 
Upvote 0
I think both the buckles are horse related. The second one is called a D. The first may be a bridle buckle.
 
Upvote 0
:read2:

The first Buckle is a Trapzodial Buckle, the second a single loop D Buckle, both are Horse related :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I think both the buckles are horse related. The second one is called a D. The first may be a bridle buckle.

That makes sense! I bet I found bout 8 horseshoes. Well, I found one intact. The others were just halves of shoes. They have done rotted into. Dang horseshoes! :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

The first Buckle is a Trapzodial Buckle, the second a single loop D Buckle, both are Horse related :icon_thumleft:

SS

Thanks silversearcher, modern??
 
Upvote 0
GaDigger81 said:
Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

The first Buckle is a Trapzodial Buckle, the second a single loop D Buckle, both are Horse related :icon_thumleft:

SS

Thanks silversearcher, modern??
The D Buckle would be the oldest...19th to mid 20thc :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Thanks searcher! What would be a good book to get on buttons or a good website?? I figure a good reference book would come in handy.
 
Upvote 0
The first two look like furniture tacks to me also. Initially they were all brass, but because furniture wood was often hardwood, they bent frequently and needed a pilot hole. By making a steel shank the pilot holes were no longer necessary. And if you think about, that saved lots of work. But it took awhile to develop the machinery to attach a steel shank to a brass head. Not sure when that machine was invented, but finding out could give you a timeframe.

The third item might be a shoe button. That would probably be late 19th century to early 20th.
 
Upvote 0
I took a pic of some of my steel shanked brass tacks to compare.

brass tacks.webpbrass tacks trunk.webp
 

Attachments

  • brass tacks.webp
    brass tacks.webp
    14 KB · Views: 162
  • brass tacks trunk.webp
    brass tacks trunk.webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0
DirtDigler said:
The first two look like furniture tacks to me also. Initially they were all brass, but because furniture wood was often hardwood, they bent frequently and needed a pilot hole. By making a steel shank the pilot holes were no longer necessary. And if you think about, that saved lots of work. But it took awhile to develop the machinery to attach a steel shank to a brass head. Not sure when that machine was invented, but finding out could give you a timeframe.

The third item might be a shoe button. That would probably be late 19th century to early 20th.

Thanks DirtDigler......Wonder if it could have anything to with horse tack. I've been finding alot of horse related stuff.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I took a pic of some of my steel shanked brass tacks to compare.

Yeah they look about the she same. I'd say it's some kind of tack. I'm thinking might be some kind of jewelry tack to go through leather for like a bridle maybe. :dontknow: Since I'm finding alot of horse stuff
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom