Need help with new find

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Hello all,
I was hunting indian artifacts this evening when I found an old butt plate to a gun.
I'm no expert but my recent experiences tell me it's old. It is brass and features some
pretty nice engraving on it's underside. If anyone has any information on it I'd
love to hear from you. Thanks in advance, Unitas

butt plate 005 (824 x 618).jpg

butt plate 003 (824 x 618).jpg

butt plate 004 (824 x 618).jpg

butt plate 006 (824 x 618).jpg

Upvote 0
I just looked in my gun part bible (The Missouri Archaeologist Vol.22,Dec. 1960) and found that square holed butt plates were secured with nails (that's why they were square) prior to 1826. After that, the plates were secured with screws (round holes) The only picture available of the round-holed type came from the excavation of Ft. Pierre 2 (1863-1865) which the plates used 4 screws in the butt and 1 in the tang. (5 screws total) Another plate from this site had 2 screws on the butt and 1 on the tang. When looking at another book (Early Indian Trade Guns: 1625-1775, T.M. Hamilton) round screw holes appeared on a gun from 1730-1760 (french) but there is only 1 screw on the butt and 1 on the tang(2 screws total) and the decoration on the tang was much more primitive or crude.
Hope this helps.
Dave.

OP
OP
unitas

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Muddyhandz, Thanks for your input. I was hoping what I had was old,therefore good. I wasn't too surprised to find it. I found it in an area that has produced countless musket balls, gun flints and even a trade bead. I was able to find some gun parts earlier this year with my hunting partners and I think the experience has widened my eyes to identify artifacts other than Native American. In the past I wouldn't of picked up a "scrap of metal".Now I see the history I was passing by and really appreciate such finds., unitas

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a neat find.

IMO your buttplate is almost certainly from a Brown Bess Musket. It's width would indicate one of the earlier models. There were several models as improvements were continually made to the Brown Bess. Nailing down the exact date would take a real expert. (Not Me) The engraving does raise a few questions as this "Queens Arm" was a mass produced military musket and a standard issue BB would not be ingraved IMO. Possibly an officers musket?

Time Frame? The BB was commonly used long before the F&I war all the way through the ARW and beyond. 1730's - early 1800's +.

FYI - What you are calling the underside (with the engraving) is actually the top of the buttplate that partially protects the comb of the stock.

OP
OP
unitas

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
sharpshooter said:
What a neat find.

IMO your buttplate is almost certainly from a Brown Bess Musket. It's width would indicate one of the earlier models. There were several models as improvements were continually made to the Brown Bess. Nailing down the exact date would take a real expert. (Not Me) The engraving does raise a few questions as this "Queens Arm" was a mass produced military musket and a standard issue BB would not be ingraved IMO. Possibly an officers musket?

Time Frame? The BB was commonly used long before the F&I war all the way through the ARW and beyond. 1730's - early 1800's +.

FYI - What you are calling the underside (with the engraving) is actually the top of the buttplate that partially protects the comb of the stock.
Wow ,thanks for all the information. I really appreciate your help. Yeah , I realize now after looking at some books on muskets that I was mistaken about which side went up.
Thanks again. Unitas

OP
OP
unitas

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Sharpshooteer, I forgot to mention that the time period makes sense.
I found it very near a War of 1812 site. At almost the exact spot where the British and Indians were said to have camp, assembled. Thanks, U

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Sorry to dig up a old topic... :laughing7:

Not Brown Bess, not North West Trade Gun...

what you have is a fowling piece butt plate, or possibly a chief's gun/fine gun, but not the Board of Ordinance type. 1812 site would fit just right.

OP
OP
unitas

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Lucas said:
Sorry to dig up a old topic... :laughing7:

Not Brown Bess, not North West Trade Gun...

what you have is a fowling piece butt plate, or possibly a chief's gun/fine gun, but not the Board of Ordinance type. 1812 site would fit just right.
Interesting--Thanks, I was curious as to why it was engraved if it was simply a Brown Bess.---------You must REALLY know guns, I appreciate any help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread