Need Help With This Fort Site

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Here is an old fort area that I got to go hunt on about 41 years ago when I was about 10 years old, useing a one of the old D-Tex metal detectors. Being a kid I really didn't know what I was doing, but I did find a few Republic Of Texas military buttons. ( owners were friends of the familly) Over the years the property has been sold to the city for for housing and development. Houses now cover most of what you see except the fields where the fort was. I'm sure one day they will make a park out of it, but right now it is unmaintained and about waiste high in grass where it used to be plowed ground. This was a main fort that housed at least 350 troops at times, was attacted by Indians many times, but never defeated. This was Prarie land back then, so none of the trees were there when the fort existed. It was an important fort when Texas became a Republic. My question I have is if it were in existance for 5 years, they had to dump their trash somewhere. I am thinking it would be in the creek #1 since it was just a small rivene creek at the time. I figure thet got there water from the main creek so they wouldn't dump there. Also, where would be the most likely area to start detecting again? Any opinions would be welcome. We did go out there to find it, but the weeds were so high due to the rains we have been having, you couldn't swing your detector. Any thoughts of the dumping ares or possible good searching areas where others haven't? I am posting this elsewhere so I can get as many responses as I can. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• kFort1.JPG
    kFort1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 673
  • kFort1.JPG
    kFort1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 670

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Lokks like a gold mine to me those buttons are Quite rare and valuble I'd love to go check it out.

pushback

Greenie
Nov 13, 2004
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
fisher 1270
I think you're on the right track with the lesser creek being the dumping ground, check the elevations for lowest areas and the prevailing winds, probably from the west, to account for blowback. If you need help detecting... lemme know ;D and good luck.

R

rowdybug

We went here the other day looking too. The grass is way to high to detect.
We want to do a prescribed burn then hunt.
wanna hunt with us?

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Texas are you referring to..Im in North central texas and we have an old fort similar to that.."Fort Bird"..found the marker but no sign of where the fort was.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Central TX around the Austin area.

HHg in Austin

Greenie
Aug 21, 2007
The Water Storage Tank gives it away !!

Quite a few of us have hit that old fort many times over the last many years. Believe it or not,.....a few things have been found right between the marker, the tree and the flag pole, You can still pick-up a few small pieces of pottery in the same mentioned area. I believe if you are patient,...that piece is scheduled to be developed soon,......if the area could be hunted while they are leveling and clearing the surface,.....some good stuff is still there. My only other advice is that a few good items will be down the slope toward the creek from the area I mentioned above.....but there is a LOT of iron trash in the area.

Good Luck !

HHg

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Re: The Water Storage Tank gives it away !!

HHg in Austin said:
Quite a few of us have hit that old fort many times over the last many years. Believe it or not,.....a few things have been found right between the marker, the tree and the flag pole, You can still pick-up a few small pieces of pottery in the same mentioned area. I believe if you are patient,...that piece is scheduled to be developed soon,......if the area could be hunted while they are leveling and clearing the surface,.....some good stuff is still there. My only other advice is that a few good items will be down the slope toward the creek from the area I mentioned above.....but there is a LOT of iron trash in the area.

Good Luck !

HHg

Yea, it's been hit hard in the past. So the water tower gave it away. :D That's kind of what I am waiting for, the developers. I bet they make a park out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread