✅ SOLVED Need help with toy metal soldier

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up this metal (lead?) toy soldier from a 1910 homesite in Indiana. The bottom of the figure is marked (I think) "Made in England." My questions include-
1- Does this represent a British soldier?
2- What war would this be depicting? (Most items found detecting were from the 1940's, but the style of helmet looks more WWI than WWII to me.)
3- Does anyone know who the manufacturer might be?
4- (This is sort of a repeat of number 2) What year might it have been produced?
5- What metal were these made from?

As always, thanks! Toy soldier.jpg Toy soldier left side.jpg Toy soldier right side.jpg Toy soldier oblique.jpg Toy soldier head on.jpg Toy soldier bottom.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I handle it, the more I question whether it is actually metal. It has some weight to it (more so than my plastic toy soldiers growing up), but it doesn't quite feel metallic. A magnet will not stick to this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Quicksilver! I do have a question, though. I just looked, and both Barklay and Manoil are listed as American companies yet, this toy is marked "Made in England." I searched much of each of their collections and cant find this particular figure. So how confident are you in your answer? I'm also confused because some sites list the companies together as you did, but at least one site stated they were competing toy manufacturers. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Hoosier Digger,
The soldier is most likeley made by Britain's Limited, or possibly Johillco. Those were two leading lead soldier companies back in the day, but both produced their toys from England, rather than the USA. It also is slightly smaller and slimmer then a Barclay or Manoil soldier, and has more detail. Britain's was known for making quality toys, and marketed to wealthier people. The barclay and manoil figures were usually "chunkier" and more crudely painted. (after all, they only costed like a nickel a piece) Today, Britains still makes soldiers (you can look them up online), and man do they cost a lot!
Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By Jove, you've got it! It was indeed a Johillco soldier. It is a British soldier from WWII. Thanks you so much Kevlardini for solving my mystery. And although the other answers didn't quite pan out, I thank everyone for their imput. I, too, had found the eBay listing for the above photo of a Barclay Manoil soldier, but I didn't believe it for the above reasons. I have found a catalog of Johillco toy soldiers that shows this figure, so I am finally convinced of its manufacturer and relative period of production. Thanks again everyone!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread