Acagedrebel

Dec 19, 2019
Columbus ,Ms
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max ,Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this coin the other day in my Great Aunts attic in an old envelope nobody there knows where it came from .. I need some help trying to Identify the coin I think I can barely make out what looks like the number 20 on the back I guess is part of the date ..... Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks FF529123-6A68-4286-9C08-A2FD2B609C62.jpeg DAF535C0-C629-41CF-847D-A31415178F5D.jpeg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's actually a half follis; or 20 nummi. What appears to the OP as '20' is actually part of the abbreviation 'ANNO'. The OP got the denomination right by coincidence. The reverse pic should be turned 180 degrees for proper alignment; then the "K" representing 20 nummi can be more easily seen.
Don.......

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Byzantine coins can be dated to within one year if the 'regnal' year of the emperor's reign and the ID of the emperor is known. The word ANNO means 'year'. The roman numeral date on the right side of the reverse is the regnal date. Simply add the regnal date to the date the emperor first became emperor and that will be the date of the coin. On the OP's coin, I can't make out the regnal date.
Don.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Acagedrebel

Acagedrebel

Dec 19, 2019
Columbus ,Ms
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max ,Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest: