Bill D. (VA)
Silver Member
- Joined
- Oct 7, 2008
- Messages
- 4,715
- Reaction score
- 6,220
- Golden Thread
- 6
- Location
- SE Virginia
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 6
- Detector(s) used
- F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
- Primary Interest:
- Other
I found this coin a couple years ago at a very productive site that gave up around 15 pieces of spanish silver, several VA halfpennies and other colonial coppers, and a wide variety of other artifacts dating from the early 1700s to the early 1800s. Most of the stuff appeared to date around the Rev War era time frame. Anyway, I still haven't been able to ID this small copper coin. Its 17mm in diameter which is about the size of a dime. I've scoured my Krause coin books many times and have been unable to find anything close. There's only very little detail on what I believe is the front (looks like the roman numeral II), and the other side is worn slick. I thought it might be spanish but haven't been able to find one like it in the books. If anyone can recognize this from the little info provided I will be amazed. Thanks for looking ..... Bill
)

So if I had that item I would still try the Lime-Away - but that is my own personal choice. I find it so compelling how the two coins posted by members here that used that method went from apparently no or very little detail to identifiable.










