What's new

Need id on a coin.

johnreb1980

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
684
Reaction score
23
Golden Thread
0
Location
Plainville,Ga
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and White's MXT 300
Went and done a little digging in Resaca yesterday evening. It was beautiful weather and perfect for digging. I didn't light the world on fire,but managed a few items. I believe I have found a counterfeit coin,but not real sure. That is why I need the experts help and opinions. I believe they were trying to make a shield nickel. I noticed that most of the shield nickels were without rays. I cant see any on this one either. Maybe they just did not pick up on this one. I believe it is lead. Any help will be greatly appreciated,Jonathon.
 

Attachments

  • unknown coin Resaca,Ga 10-4-08 edited.webp
    unknown coin Resaca,Ga 10-4-08 edited.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 403
Someone used an existing 1867-1883 Variety 2 Without Rays Shield Nickel to make this piece you have, here is the counterfeit flipped (negative view for better clarity) around to show that it was made from a Variety 2 Nickel.

That is a cool find to have in your collection.

Don
 

Attachments

  • nickel.webp
    nickel.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0
Isn't that "5" backwards???
If it is lead,, Maybe they just pushed it into the hot lead to get the impression of the coin??
Figuring now one would look that close ??
They used to Gold Plate the "V" nickles to pass for gold


Tim
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the help. The other side is blank as far as I can see. Who ever done it was pretty good as it is the same size and thickness as an original shield nickel. Don you did great work on the photo. Thanks a bunch,Jonathon. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Well,I thought the front side was blank, but after carefully looking at it I can see signs of the stripes on the emblem on front. So Don, can you please work your magic on this pic of the front side. I sure wood appreciate it. It would be nice to pull a date off this thing,Jonathon.
 

Attachments

  • Front of counterfeit shield nickel.webp
    Front of counterfeit shield nickel.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0
Magic went Poof :tongue3: Well, this is the best I could get, the photo is flipped and in negative just like the other one I posted. You might want to try a rubbing or perhaps when that does not work, maybe gently with a pencil eraser see if any of the date shows up more with some rubbing. But try that on the left side first, where the 18 would be, so that if it does not work you do not further destroy the last two digits if you can.

Don
 

Attachments

  • nickeldate.webp
    nickeldate.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0
Thanks Don. For some reason they did thid side the right way.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom