need info about cold wheather detecting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your manual should tell you the operating temps. It's the batteries that go first and parts can become brittle with to much cold.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
how cold are you lookin? i have hunted in 0-10 degree weather with no problems at all, other than being a bit chilly. for diggin just make sure you have a cold chisel and a hammer. once you get the hole open with the chisel, make sure you chisel away from where you think the target is, of course.

Good luck.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have run my Prizm III in temps in the Mid to low 20s, it never skipped a beat. I must confess that I had to throw in the towel before it did, the snow and frozen ground beat me but the Prizm kept tickin!

Sandman is right, take a look at the mannual and see what it says. If it's not there the fine folks at White's could probably tell you if you give them a call.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I used to use the older Whites units in real harsh conditions all through those frigid Maine winters at the beaches, but don't know about the newer machines as they may be too delicate for the cold.

Good luck!

R

robert roy

Your going to have a problems with your batteries. Cold temps drain the batteries withing one to two hours. Besides my MXT I also have an Ace 250. I winterize the ACe with a hand warmer inside the battery pack then wrap the control box with a piece of wool. The hand warmer keeps the batteries toasty warm. I can hunt for hours without the batteries going out on me. I looked at the Prism and it appears the batteries are somewhere in the back of the control box? I called whites, and they gave me an idea as to the general shape of the COntrol box. You should be able to slide the battery cover off, place a hand warmer over the batteries. You won't be able to slide the battery cover back on so you'll have to take a piece of masking tape over it. The NEXT thing to do is to take a large clear wrap sandwich bag or one of those see through freezer storage bags and cut a pice large enough to cover the face plate. Make sure you cut it big enough so that you can use masking tape to tape the top and sides. This prevents you from getting mud and other dirt on or inside the control box. You last step is to make a small wool cover to slide over the the control box. You'll have to expriment with this as the general shape of the control box is going to make it difficult to cover. BUT you can cover it. If you know someone who sews they can make it with some kind of elastic band so that it doesn't slip off.

Good luck with this. I'm sure you can evise something.

Robert R

Attachments

• prizm4displaybg.gif
    prizm4displaybg.gif
    76.2 KB · Views: 182

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
;D Temps I want you to stay home! baby it's (cold) outside ...it's ok I need all the coins I can find.. 8) 8) 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread