Metalguru

Greenie
May 9, 2014
Eastern shore Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro Garrett pin pointer stock coil 5x8 coil& Nel Tornado XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy marklw82, I'm not far from you and I would be interested in checking out Delaware. State parks are usually off limits ,but there are city/county parks and recreation areas to detect

NewbieBill

Jan 5, 2015
Dover, DE
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I am new wife got me a MD for Christmas I am in Dover and looking for areas to search and people to search with.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are NEW and inexperienced, I would recommend you start with the yards.. Yours, your family members and friends. You need to learn how to dig, recover and replace the plug leaving the spot undetectable before venturing into public parks. The other thing nice about yards is you will find good stuff. All the silver I have found was in someones yard. There have been MD for years and it was a big craze in the 70s so parks have slim pickins.. You have a better chance on private property.. It takes a long time to properly hut a yard so even if it is small, you can spend a lot of day working it. Now is a great time as well, the ground is not frozen, it is very wet and even if you mess up some of the plugs it will be fine after the winter..
Good luck and have fun!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

.... I would recommend you start with the yards.. Yours, your family members and friends. You need to learn how to dig, recover and replace the plug leaving the spot undetectable before venturing into public parks.....

Airscapes is right: Start in some 1950's type yards and dig 100+ coins first. Get good at pinpointing. Get good at leaving no trace. Get good at picking and choosing which signals you will chase versus pass, etc.... THEN venture to city and county type parks, beaches, campgrounds, schools, etc.....

As for the laws part of your question: Have you found the rules/codes/laws for Dover ? Like if the city website has their muni charter, codes, regulations, laws, etc... ? Or if not, then perhaps it's in binder form at city hall somewhere. Find the rules for the parks. Eg.: dogs on leash only, no loud music, no over-night camping, no fireworks, etc..., If you see nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then PRESTO, it's not disallowed. There need not be some "express allowance" to metal detect. No more so than you would expect to find something that said "frisbee flying allowed".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions